Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toys for blind cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by crazycatman1983, Apr 29, 2019.

1. crazycatman1983

crazycatman1983 PetForums Newbie

I have a 4 year old tabby blind cat, so doesn't go outdoors. I always make sure I play with him regularly, but I feel the only toys I can play with him with are bouncy balls (he loves them, and is surprisingly good and running and catching them!), or dangly things. Obviously being blind, most typical cat toys aren't really suitable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other toys that might work for a blind cat? Just want to mix things up a bit for him :).

Soozi likes this.
  2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

My boy steals the pipe cleaners I use to make spiders. The jumbo ones are favourite. He throws them about and, if slightly crumpled they are heavy enough to make a noise when thrown so he retrieves them as well. He also likes my catnip sacks and throws them and catches them himself.

If your boy still has his Pupillary Light Reflex, a dangly toy held in the light from the window may also be well received especially if it also makes a noise.

chillminx likes this.
  3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

We had two blind from birth kittens at the rehoming centre where I volunteer and we found that anything that makes a noise is good - things like crinkle balls or the little bells with balls in them; both of those were great for when they were playing on their own - and wand toys with bells on were good for interactive play. Plus as @QOTN has mentioned anything smelly is usually well received.

I think it's a case of realising that blind cats use their other senses (smell and hearing) to a much greater degree than sighted cats.

#3 Bertie'sMum, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    chillminx and Soozi like this.
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I would say any soft toys with catnip or valerian in would be welcome by a blind cat.

Soozi and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice