Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toto did a poo over night YEAH

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by pinkyblare, May 13, 2010.

1. pinkyblare

pinkyblare PetForums Junior

Well i tried what a few ladies suggested only in small doses though as was little scared, i have him 0.2ml of lactulose, 1ml of weetabix and 1ml of peppermint tea before i went to bed and thought if no poo by morning i will admit him first thing i made an appointment anyway well i set my alarm to get up in night to him and YEAH i found poo some solid dark lumps with shiny coating and then bit of runny in his bed, so i washed his bottom and gave him just 1ml of Recovery and some water and towel dried him before placing him on clean bedding, i woke up this morning to find more runny poo so cleaned him up again and said to my mum who is looking after him while i came work we should just give recovery and water today t give his tum a rest now he got rid of all that poo, i phoned vets she said see how he goes today thats a great sign and let his tummy rest today bring him down tomo for check up but this looks like he is on mend told me ring for emergency appt if need to so thanks ladies for you support will keep you updated if thats ok nice to just get it all down, do i give him the gut stimulant (Med) today or leave it for today give him rest??????

thanks once again

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes, give the metaclopramide. Buns quite literally poo constantly, so you need to not only get the gut going, but keep it going.

Looking promising so far. Are you making sure he has constant access to hay? He may start feeling like eating for himself.

3. pinkyblare

Ok will give that to him then i was worried i would over stimulate but yeah will ring my mum now to give it to him, yeah took bag of hay and his normal food he had nibble of carrot top too as a lady suggested that, he did eat lots hay yesterday (well lots for him) we carrying on with the recovery - once made up how long can i keep that recovery in a sealed container? she gave me new sachet yesterday xxx

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I personaly wouldnt keep it for more than 24 hours.

How big are your sachets? When ive used them i get through about 2 a day.

5. pinkyblare

Not very big but not even got through one i must not be feeding him enough then i was doing 1-2mls every couple hours cause anymore than that he was fighting and spitting it out, i will call get another sachet toady to be on safe side oh i am still so scared now spoken on here and rabbits united and some are suggesting he still need be admitted surely i am doing what they would only do apart from pain relief but she told me the meta medicine and ijection was a pain killer oh i am scared again now i cant get to the vets today my boss is bit fed up of me coming and going this week my mum cant drive him there either oh what shall i do i though him pooing and having good clear out was good sign as he hadnt been for few days his tum has gone down a bit and had nibble of carrot top not bothered sofar with anything else i presumed his tummy needed to settle a bit? :confused1::confused:

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Metacam?

The only reason a bun should be admitted is if it needs fluids or meds an owner cant give. If you are able to do the nursing and syringe feeding, theres no need to stress the animal out.

The fact he is eating and pooing is a good sign. He may not be out of the woods yet, but it certainly is progress.

7. Lollie1515

Lollie1515 PetForums Member

This is great news!! Go toto!!! x

8. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I dont think he needs to be admitted, you are doing all that they would do at the vets.
    Its a good sign that he's poo'ing and that he's eating the hay just stick with it :)

*Heidi*

9. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Way to go Toto - keep up the pooping!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice