Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Torties

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Milly22, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Is this a nice Tortie?

I have not seen many. She is only 6 weeks old atm.

Can you tell ?

:rolleyes:

I am still on my "perfect kitten" search!

Some people don't like them. I am unsure. This one is (possibly) a bicolour Tortie. She is very sweet. They all are!:cursing:

Attached Files:

#1 Milly22, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

She has little bits under each eye, as you can see. She looks hungover. A tad.

Perhaps I should just toss a coin?

Blue mitted girl - heads

Blue tortie girl - tails

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I personally love torties - with this one (especially being a bi-colour) I can't tell, I think she may be a bit young yet. What kind of tortie is she meant to be? Again I don't know the breed standard for tortie raggies so can't help out there either. I think with a lot of the paler torties you have to wait and see is they end up 'pretty' or not. The prettiness isn't important though really, you need to look at type and eye color etc.

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Here eye colour is great! She is very tiny just now. Owner "thinks" she may be bicolour. Mum is trotie dad is blue colourpoint.

I don't know a lot about torties, she was very lovely, nice eyes colour, both her and mum on my knee! £150 less than the other one I mentioned last week (due to current economic climate!)

Same price as blue mitted though. I do love the mitts.

Oh I don't know. Why are there so many colours and patterns?:cursing:

I could mate her with a mitted though. :idea:

5. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I wonder if she is a bicolour. With having the bits under her eyes.

6. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Doesn't the addition of white change the tortie markings. With white the tortie pattern appears as defined patches of different colours, without white the the tortie pattern is more of a mingled affect.

If you are purchasing a tortie for showing, check the SOP for the breed. Siamese and orientals every paw (and point for siamese) has to be broken with some tortie minglings. It is a withholding fault if that doesn't not occur.

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Thanks for your replies.

I have a very knowledgeable ragdoll friend who comes along and helps me with all ragdoll matters. She is having a look at her pictures for me to assess if she is a bicolour.

She could be a badly mismarked bicolour ? I have tried to read the ragdoll definitive guide but get a lost with the torties. Its those splashes of colour here and there.

Her back looked like it would have some light blue on it as did her head, so my very knowledgeable friend is looking into her possibly being mitted.

That would make my dreams come true. :D

She was very pretty. I may have mentioned that. :rolleyes: A wee bit smelly though which is not good. No need for smelly kitties. None of mine smell. Well they do, but it's a nice smell. Not horsy poo smell.

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

This is the case in others I believe but with Birman pointing the tortie should be mingled not patchy so I assume the same with Raggies - I think it has something to do with the poining gene as opposed to the spotting gene which gives birmans their white feet.

9. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

It has nothing to do with the pointed gene cs - tortie siamese with white (ie bicolours) also have patches of colour as opposed to mingled tortie markings. Without white (non bicolour) they have mingled tortie markings. White for bi colours or mitteds I think is caused by the same white spotting gene, just different expressions of it. Maybe the mitted expression has less of an affect on the tortie markings but a bi colour as was mention by the OP with a 1/3rd or more white, the tortie markings should be patches rather than minglings.

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Ah, right I see - I need to gen up again on my genetics - thanks Saikou.

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I cant really see her face, I think she too young to see like spid said??

She is very pretty though! Although smelly?! Not sure about that!! :eek:hmy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice