Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tortie night-time wowling

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by MrsMac2605, Jan 2, 2020.

1. MrsMac2605

MrsMac2605 PetForums Newbie

Our 10 year old Tortie (Matilda) is getting worse at night for wowling, it goes on all night. She doesn't sleep in our room, my allergies prevent this, but her 'room' is upstairs next to ours. Admittedly, it does seem to worse for several days after a stint in the cattery.
    My husband is reaching the end of his tether, no full night's sleep since Sunday, when she came home from the cattery. He wants to put her out at night but I'm against this, I think at 10 she is too old to start this now. It is difficult to 'tell off' a cat, screaming at her and even 'smacking' her bum won't help, I know this but we're running out of ideas.
    I have said today that I will get a Feliway plug, is it worth a try.
    I love her to bits but we can't go on, any suggestions?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Has she been to the vet? This kind of behavior is often an indication of health issues. High blood pressure, hyperthyroid (and possibly kidney disease).

Please do not shout at or hit your cat, this will only create more stress and make her more ill. And it's cruel.

If you haven't take her to the vet for a check up and blood work, she needs a senior panel including thyroid tests and a urinalysis.

As you say "putting her out at night" is a terrible idea, likely a death sentence for her, and it will not solve HER problem. Which is what's needed, solving her problem.

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

^^^^ I agree totally with everything @lorilu has said.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with lorilu too.

If Matilda's howling is worse for several days after she has been in the cattery it suggests she is finding a stay in the cattery difficult to cope with at her age. Certainly it sounds as though she is stressed by the whole upheaval of being removed from her home. She probably needs a lot of reassurance when she is back home again. And that is what she is begging for when she cries at night.

As you are not able to have her in your bedroom because of your allergies could your husband not sleep in Matilda's room with her at night for a week after she has been in the cattery? That would be a compassionate thing to do for an older cat, to reassure her she is safe and loved.. I would not hesitate to do this for one of my older cats if needed.

Shutting her out of the house at night would of course be a terrible thing to do and I am very glad you are totally against it. As lorilu has said it would likely be a death sentence for her. Unless she was lucky enough to find one of your neighbours to take her into their home overnight out of the cold, from pity.

I do think you need to get the vet to do a full examination, including blood tests and urinalysis. The age of 10 is when any of the chronic diseases of older cats can start to develop. e.g. Chronic kidney disease, Hyperthyroidism, Diabetes Mellitus, high blood pressure or heart problems. Your cat may even have a urinary tract infection (UTI) or feline cystitis - both of these can be stress related.

Any underlying health issue is frightening for a cat and can make them feel anxious and insecure.

Maybe you could consider Matilda remaining in her own home when you go away. Ideally with a live-in cat sitter, but even a sitter calling in at least twice a day to feed her and change all the litter trays, might be less disruptive for Matilda than her being put in a cattery.

#4 chillminx, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice