UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi my sons partners brother is a green keeper on a golf course. There has been a cat wandering about there for weeks and now they have discovered she has 4 x 5-6 week old kittens. She is friendly. We have rung the cats protection who cant help (because shes a stray?) We are in the oxfordshire area, can anyone help? Thank you The golf course is Frilford Heath Golf Club (very posh!)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi sorry to keep bumping this but I really need some advice. Cats protection and RSPCA both say as the cats are safe and not in immediate danger they are not a priority. But they are out in the cold, in some shrubbery on a golf course. The mum is friendly (Im told) but the kittens are not used to people and run and hide. I think it would be too difficult to try and get them ourselves and the kittens may bite etc so really need some help.

G

·
You could pm kelly-joy here, or if you are near Chorley, the lady offering to foster for a rescue may take them. (See thread in rescue or maybe intro's).

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I would think a golf course is quite dangerous for them :(

They could be hit by golf balls, and they would of course be open to the dangers of foxes at night :eek:

The kittens won't be able to bite hard at their age! I wouldn't worry about that! Mum could either run off or she could get defensive if someone tries to take the babies, but she's more likely to run off. She will be very hungry though, so maybe bring a cat carrier with food in, to lure her in. Then you could shut her in there and then pick up the babies.

I hope someone can help soon!!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh well no one wants to help, theyre probably all dead now as it hasnt stopped raining all day. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi thanks for taking an interest! I could, I had my daughters cat when he broke his leg. Problem is then what do I do with them? I cant keep (or afford) 5 more cats. Also I would worry about bringing illness in. I adopted a rescue dog 3 years ago and ended up giving my 4 dogs kennel cough! I thought if I could collect them I could take them straight to a rescue but no one wants to know.

G

·
If no one will take them, if you can, PLEASE take them in. The kits will end up feral, and SO hard to rehome. You could see if you could get a 2nd hand aviary, somewhere, and put them out, on lovely days, while looking for homes. (Put cosy little kennels in for shelter, if weather changes). ALWAYS HANDY for emergencies.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Have you tried approaching any smaller, local rescues? The RSPCA are hopeless, I'm surprised CPL hasn't taken an interest but I'm sure a smaller rescue or even a person who rescues privately in their own home would be willing to help. Two of my cats came from people who did the latter.

Just done a quick google for you:

Welcome to the Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/woar/index.htm

B.A.R.K.S - Banbury Animal Rescue and Kindness Service

With regards to catching them, the sooner the better. It should be relatively easy if you can pull in a few people to help, especially if Mum is friendly. Please could you keep us updated? If you don't have any success I'll see if I can find anymore contacts. I'd rather take them in myself than have them left out now the weather is turning but I'd need to make sure one of my local rescues could take them on for rehoming and transport would be an issue as I am 4 hours away from you.

G

·
If you can stay nearby, you could put mum into a small cat crate, then set a cat trap in front of the mesh door of the crate, so she can see and call them, put some food down near the mum, in the trap, and catch the kittens. You may have to catch them in 2 lots. If so, take the caught ones home to the safe room, let them out, and go back to other kits and mum, set up again.

You should be able to borrow or hire a cat trap from any rescue.

Could you drive 2 to 3 hours towards Grace Lily, if Grace Lily could drive an hour plus, towards you? If GL will take them, you will be financially better off, and have far less stress on your animals, if you volunteer the extra driving. Think of it as a donation to save these littlies from an awful life as ferals/strays. Shout yourselves a morning tea and a tourist gawk as a reward

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your help. Stadhampton rescue have agreed (with the greenkeeper) to get some cages out this week to hopefully catch them. I have been working since saturday and dont get in until 6pm which is too late for me to do anything personally but the greenkeeper is feeding them. I havent seen them but I think there are 3 x black/white kittens and a ginger. I am off fri/sat/sun so if they havent been collected will go to the golf course with my daugher and try and get them. Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Thank you SO MUCH for trying to help this mum and kittens
Having worked in a small rescue I know only too well that there are so many people like you desperate to help and feeling so helpless!!
Hope so much that these poor babies can have a happy ending.
God bless you for your compassion-will be thinking about you.
Maureen

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
what about approaching the vet. our vets will take in anything like that, because they are well in with a local rescue, but i have seen them take in kittens with mum and try and rehome them, its amazing how clients who come into the vets fall for these babies

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rose if you still need help with this let me know, I am in Abingdon.

There is a rescue place at Wheatley that may take them. I have just googled to search and could only find this although not sure this is the one I am thinking of

Four Paws Cat Rescue, Oxfordshire

Let me know whats happening! I can poss re-home them in my shed or even bedroom!

Edited to say I am off Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun and happy to help. Where abouts at the golf course are they, I could take some food down tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.