Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Torres and his new hutch

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Andyt4, Jul 22, 2009.

1. mimi g

mimi g PetForums VIP

Hutch looks fab and he is such a handsome boy!!!! x

2. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i wouldnt stud him as he could catch diseases from other buns.
    i have used a stud before but he belongs to a friend and i know him to be healthy :D

he is very handsome x

3. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

good point, i wouldnt know what to look out for. I just like the idea of a little Torres or 50 ha ha

4. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

How old is Torres? Has he had his jabs?

5. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

he is going on friday :eek:

about 20 weeks.

6. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

You should NEVER breed from a rabbit that you do not kow 3 generations on each side, as you can never be sure what problems you are breeding into the litter.

A high class breeder would be horrified of their rabbits being sold in pet shops and so, your rabbit was most likely a breeders off cast, a backyard breeder or an accidental litter.

I am horrified that people on this thread suggest breeding from him, knowing nothing of his background and just pecause "he is a pwetty colour"

7. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

thats why questions are asked, thanks for your answer. Is that highhorse sturdy dont want you falling off ;)

Im new to this and wouldnt consider it unless i knew enough, its obvious i dont now.

i love my cast off, cheers :D

8. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

:D

Get used to it on here lol! x

Forums are for asking quetions as you say and thats how we all learn! Some people dont realise that others are less inexperienced than others sometimes x

9. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

as breeding from him was only a joke there was no need to consider his genetics, and im sure pets at home would have to tell you who they brought him from anyway

10. VampiricLust

It was not aimed at you, but the people encouraging you to do it.

All my rabbits are cast-offs, I did not intend to say that remark so you took offence, and to me, they are the most beautiful rabbits around :)

Pets at Home buy from breeders who effectively breed from rabbits in the same way as Puppy farms :(

11. Andyt4

Andyt4 PetForums Member

no offence taken, i know you meant well.

12. Lemoney.Ellie

Lemoney.Ellie PetForums Newbie

I would let my bunny breed from Torres :) even if he is a cast off! Mine is too!
    Does it matter if you dont know 3 gen. not being ignorant but I bred my bun bun with a stud P@H and the litter were healthy and absoloutley gorg!

Torres you lucky bunny! You get a new hutch and all these ladies! He certainly is a catch! :D

13. VampiricLust

Not knowing genetics could result in:

• Incisor maloclussion (sp?)
    • Molar misalignment
    • Tear duct problems
    • Potential deformities
    • Peanuts if a double dwarf gene is passed on
    • Genetic Splay leg

To list a few.

They may have been healthy when you gave them away, but i have taken rabbits off of a "good" breeder, and 2 needed dentals at 11 weeks, one is now on daily medication for the rest of his life for chronic eye problems- and this rabbit had been bred from :mad:

The majority of bun that come into rescue need their molars burred (filed) down thoug most is just the once. All through bad breeding.

I have a rabbit that will always stay with me as he ha to have dentals EVERY 4 weeks :( This is due to bad breeding over and over. (61 rabbits came from the house)

Only (IMO) irresponsible people breed from animals they know nothing about their backgrounds.

Nonnie likes this.
  14. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

sounds like you have been very unlucky, i thought the majority of teeth problems were due to bad diet not genetics? I guess it can go both ways tho.

15. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Jesus I really feel like giving up sometimes what an irresponsible post and absolutely awful statement. A good breeder knows 3 gens, some buns are not so lucky and you breed in many horrific genetic problems which vamp being a rescue sees all the time. :mad:

16. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Hey Andy that setup is fab!!!!!! :D

He certainly is a stunningly handsome boy and once neutered definetely in need of a lady friend :) x

17. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

She runs a rescue hun, its all these backyard breeders that cause the problems, vamp just picks up the pieces.

Im not quite sure why certain people thought vamp was having a go (not aimed at you emzy) she does a fab job in rescuing hundreds of buns from people who are totally irresponsible and selfish, they do not think about the bunnies welfare at all. I thought her post was very polite, to the point and above all else completely the right advice unlike some others.

#37 crofty, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  18. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I think the main point to this problem stems from the pet shops, and friday ad sellers.

If pet shops didnt sell bunnies then potential purchsers would be able to ask the breeders about health and temperament of parents as well as receiving pedigree stating the parents.

If bunnies were advertised with the correct care information then I'm sure less people would buy them especially for their children.

If all breeder cast offs were neutered before sale which I appreciate would be a lot of work in up keep, then accidents and irresponsible breeding and cross breeding would be significantly limited. Also buyers would get a decent idea of the size of their pet, and wouldn't fall for small fuzballs.

19. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

And thats why there are so many buns in rescues! :rolleyes:

Never ever heard of P@H having stud rabbits! pmsl - their as bad as a backyard breeder! Its amazing how many people believe the crap that comes out of the P@H staff!! :smilewinkgrin:

20. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I think most of their staff only work there because they like animals, they try their best to give advice, but might get small bonuses for meeting sales targets, therefor mislead people, also i dont think most of their staff stay there long enough to learn a lot

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice