Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toppa, the jelous

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sailor, Sep 15, 2013.

1. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

It has come to my attention that little Toppa is a very jealous guy :rolleyes:
    I can not sit and have a conversation with my Son or he will squeeze in between us and give me pleading battered dog syndrome eyes.
    I can not cuddle my Daughter else I will have the whole 'orlov the meerkat impressions' and he can hold that (begging) pose for HOURS sometimes he even goes onto his back legs and dances toward me with his front paws high in the air!

It is one thing to get between me and my Children, but today he took it to a new level. He was sat on my lap and I recieved a txt and decided to read/reply - but as I did so, Toppa decided to mouth my phone and scratch at my hands trying desperately to get me to let go of the thing, clearly unhappy that 'his time' had been interupted :rolleyes:

I have never had a dog that was not satisified to simply be on your lap having a fuss... but to actively try to remove anything that comes between us :lol:
    Luckily when it comes to other people he is very content to get my lap and an extra pair of hands to fuss him and really relishes in that so long as it is my lap that he is on, if I put him on someone elses lap he will instantly claw his way back to me in as desperate a manner as possible.
    I did read up on the jack russell and noted that they can be very clingy to their owners, so I ignore any behaviour that could make this a bigger problem if left unchecked, when he gets jealous I walk away from him and ignore him intil he settles again which is working a treat, but now and then he will do some subtle behaviour to show me he would rather I was ALL HIS! Love him, his a persistant charmer!
    The other day I was reading a newspaper and when I rested the paper on my legs I noticed Toppa had been sat at my feet in the orlov pose... most likely he had been sat like tht since I picked up the paper... as soon as he realised my eyes were on him and not the paper, his tail wagged whilst still holding the orlov pose and he remained sat like that wagging his tail intil I called him for a fuss. He won to the newspaper, I think he felt awesome about that :eek:

So, I was wondering if anyone else has a needy attention seeking dog who gets jealous about daft things that you give attention to?

2. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Bess hates me talking on the phone! She jumps up or misbehaves and I have to walk into another room - or the caller has to out up with a lot of 'get offs' and swear words! :rolleyes:

3. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

When ever I phone my Mom we will get a brief decent conversation before all I can hear is two mad Staffies licking her death, with odd 'ok thats enough!' 'hello, ok you said hello!' from my Mom :lol:
    I just stay on the phone patiently waiting for her to free herself and resume the conversation :eek:

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Milly HATES me reading my book. I swear she has some kind of book radar. She can be asleep in the bedroom one minute, I get up and move to the sofa and by the time I pick up the book, she's trying her damnedest to get on my lap, laying across my arms, or otherwise desperately trying to get between me and the enemy.

Subtle she ain't :rolleyes:

I respond by turning my back to her until she gets the message and lies down, although her face is a picture - talk about sulking :lol:

ETA: She doesn't like the landline either, but ignores the mobile, lol

5. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

lol bless her, I remember when I used to have a cat that would lay across my boyfriends (now x) arms when ever he picked up the control for the Xbox :eek:
    Instead of giving into the cat he would stay put and continue to play while the cat refused to move! How he could play with a cat wrapped round his hands is beyond me.
    I think the cat was more interested in the warmth that came from the control and wasn't actually being jealous tho, but still looked funny.

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Lovely to "see" you and Toppa again :D. My pair are both very, very clingy if allowed and have to be in contact at pretty much all times. I am chuffed they're not allowed upstairs..it is my escape :w00t:.

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

As you may know I adore JR's. I've been looking at rescue sites and a few have have caught my eye, I'd adopt one if it weren't for the kind of dog Kali is. I could integrate one into 'camp terrier' which also contains Marty but I think Kali's tensions would upset the other two Mals. :(

Flynn does a lying on his side running with front paws and quietly whining when he wants my attention and I'm on the computer etc. he watches me out of the corner of an eye and if I look at him he holds the pose but wags his tail. :D
    Last night before bed I caved in and sat next to him, put his head in my lap and gave him a head massage - he loved it, could tell by the grunts. :)

Wonder who else gives their dogs head massages, we have them and it takes away tension so I'd think it does the same for dogs.

8. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Lovely to see you trio too!
    That is where I went wrong... I let Toppa upstairs at bed time, he sleeps on the floor tho so I do get some resbite!
    His content on the floor so long as I give him an item of my worn clothing to rest on. Clearly the big cushion is just not good enough... who would have thought all he needed was a vest - should have saved my money!

Flynn sounds lovely and what you described is typical of what Ice (yes, I still walk my friends husky!) does with his owner... just lays there looking out the corner of his eye, when he is called he remains very still but cant quite contain his tail.

I give Toppa ear massages, he seems to love having a rub all round his neck and ears. Sometimes he slower drops to one side, so I think it must defo be relaxing for him :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice