Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Top Tips for looking after Hips?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by miti999, May 5, 2010.

1. miti999

miti999 PetForums Senior

Hi Everyone!

I've got a new 10 week old Puppy.

I understand about over exercising young puppies. But how much is too much?

Can anyone tell me their top tips for looking after those little hips?

#1 miti999, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

5 minutes twice a day per month old, so a 3 months old would be able to to 15 mins twice a day walking.

Free running alone, not with older dogs.

Limited ball games

Swimming is very good exercise, but young puppies will tire out easy.

Little rough housing with adult dogs

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

^ what she said plus - no going up stairs! :)

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

^ what they said plus,check your flooring,no bounding about on laminate/tiled/lino flooring.No jumpy up games.

5. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

ooops lol... STAIRS :eek: how did I forget that one???

Jumping in and out cars etc

If you have laminate or tiles, keep nails really really short and use paw wax, or plenty of rugs and matts down.

6. miti999

miti999 PetForums Senior

Thanks for that.

Err, paw wax Tanya?:)

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

It islike a balm you put on the feet. Show people use it when showing on a slippery surface to stop the dogs feet from slipping... Shaws Paw Wax only £3.19 You can use it regularly. It also helps to prevent feet from cracking.

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Theoretically, if you have a good pair of hips, it would have to take a great deal of environmental damage to make a difference, or so many think.

Worth remembering, it's the front end that carries more weight, and is subject to a lot more wear and tear, they land on their front legs, and when you think of the hoolying a dog does, twisting and turning from it's front end, overdoing that sort of exercise is where you'd think they would exacerbate any problem with elbows that were less than perfect.

I believe it was John Weller who coined the phrase for the '5 min rule' and it's 5 mins per month of age per day (as far as I'm aware). That's basically forced exercise, where a pup has no option but to either walk along on a lead with you, or because the adrenalin has kicked in and it won't rest because it's having far too much fun hoolying with other dogs. It was always meant as a guide, for people who weren't sure just how much exercise a pup should have, and to try and educate those who believe the way to get a pup to rest is to walk the legs off it, or tire it out running around.

Having said that, Tau was a nutter as a pup although I very much tried to ensure she didn't overdo things and stick to the five min rule; she literally ran rings round me, up walls, jumped off everything she could get onto, and I absolutely believed she must have caused herself some environmental damage within the first 12 months of her life, so I was bowled over when her hip scores came back 0/0 and elbow grade 0. Which brings me back to the first bit of my post, and the belief that if your dog has a good set of hips/elbows in the first place, it really would be an effort to damage them extensively, at least that is according to some more knowledgeable people than me.

miti999 likes this.
  9. miti999

miti999 PetForums Senior

Thanks very much for your replies!

10. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Don't allow your dog to get fat.

11. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

what all of the above said!!! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice