Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

TOP 10 Kennel Club registrations for 2010

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Sled dog hotel, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

No.1 with 257,062 Registrations was Labrador
    Followed by
    2)Cocker Spaniel
    3)English Springer Spaniel
    4)German Shepherd Dog
    5)Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    6)Border Terrier
    7)Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    8)Golden Retriever
    9)Pug
    10)Boxer.

10 years ago in 2000, The top 10 Registrations were.
    1)Labrador
    2)German Shepherd Dog
    3)Cocker Spaniel
    4)West Highland White Terrier
    5)Golden Retriver
    6)English Springer Spaniel
    7)Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    8)Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    9)Boxer
    10)Yorkshire Terrier.

The Pug and Border Terrier, has replaced The Yorkshire Terrier and west Highland white in the top 10. The others seem pretty consistant.

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Yes - Labs have been top for quite some time now with the Cocker and GSD vying for second place - year on year Lab registrations are generall falling - whether that's because people are turning their attentions to other breeds or because more are being born unregistered I don't know - but if my memory serves me correctly - the total registrations figure is higher than it was last year :eek:

I think what would be useful is to actually put the figures alongside the breeds - as a lot of people won't have any idea how much of a difference there is between the first and 10th breed (and those inbetween) - the differences are significant.

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Thats really interesting reading. The Staffies interest me as i would have assumed most were unregistered so i still think this represents a fraction of the pups being produced.

4. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I take it back about Labs :eek: big rise in registrations last year compared to the previous year - although not up as high as the year before that :eek:

Staffy registrations have fallen by around a third since 2007

5. Sled dog hotel

I know the total figures of registrations all breeds for the first 9mths of 2010
    Was 198,797.

as opposed to 2009 for the first 9mths which was 183,479

The 3rd quarter registrations were a total 75,172 all breeds alone just in 3months.

Lost track after that though, so dont know what the total all breeds registration was in the end for 2010. If the last 3mths of 2010 was similar to the 3rd quarter then I assume it would have been somewhere in the region of 274,000 registrations for the year all breeds

Pretty staggering when you think thats just registered, with all the unregistered additions as well.

6. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

Fascinating how breeds come and go in terms of popularity. Maybe smaller dogs that need less exercise are becoming more popular as they fit into our modern lifestyles more easily? :confused:
    I know that Dalmatians come in and out of the top 20 it seems to directly relate to the release of each Disney film!:mad:

7. Sled dog hotel

Havent got a breakdown for all the individual breeds, but have found a breakdown of the group registrations, for the first 9mths of 2010, so although not the final figures for the whole year, then in was,

Hounds 4626
    Pastoral 5132
    Toys 8172
    Terriers 9332
    Utility 9600
    Gundogs 32,474
    Working 129,461 (mth Total 198,797)

If anyone knows the last 3mths of 2010s figures perhaps they can add them on.

Hell of a lot of pups though nearly 200,000 if you add that to the first 9mths of the previous year which was 183,479 Thats 382,276 registered pups born
    in 18months, without all the unregistered.

8. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

Lots of pennies for the Kennel Club :eek:

9. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Is that total registrations for the year or just labradors?

If only labradors - I agree - labs have been around 40,000 to 50,000 per year for many years.

10. Sled dog hotel

The article with the Top 10 list of breeds was in Your dog, Next to the picture of the labrador it published a figure of 257,062.

The other figures with the total for first 9mths and the break down of registrations for the various groups was dog world. Looking at the dog world figures it must be total for the year all breeds of 257,062 as the dog world all breeds figure was 198,797 at the end sep 2010

It wasnt until you mentioned it and I re checked the dog world figures for the first 3 quarters of 2010 that I realised the your dog figures misleading.

Mind you 257,062 new puppies for 1 year without unregistered too, is a pretty staggering amount whatever way you look at it.

Apologies for the incorrect info, and especially to the Lab owners, must have given them quite a fright.

11. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

lol - like Rocco I know Labs sit between 40 and 50K - but from memory - the overall registration figures are a fair bit up on last years - I know quite a few, including myself pulled back on our breeding plans (so I ended up buying in a pup instead :eek::rolleyes::)

12. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Its all very sad, way too many dogs being bred:(

13. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

That Disney bloke has a lot to answer for:nono:

14. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

15. Sled dog hotel

I was wondering how the total number of registrations for pups compared too,
    but can see it on there.

16. Sled dog hotel

He has, not only with the poor Dallys, Think, Iron will, snow dogs and 8 below
    did as much for the poor Siberian Huskies and Malamutes.
    Mine were constantly being reffered to as snow dogs after that came out. and round here they were popping up like weeds.

Think whatever seems to win crufts has an influence too most years, Lot of Vislas popped up too after one won last year. Then there seems to be the celebrity influence. When the Obamahs got a Portugese water dog, I remember reading the breeders started getting inundated with enquiries. I think they were pretty rare until then, and probably most people hadnt heard of them.

17. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Sad reading :( so many dogs born in the UK, no wonder so many are in rescue.
    Poor labs too, wonder how many are from health tested parents and how many will go on the have hip/elbow dysplasia. Bet the old money making machine (KC) are rubbing their sweaty little hands together. Couldn't see them ever only registering litters from health tested parents, think of how much revenue they'd lose! :mad:

18. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

While I can't tell you how many litters of Labs are from health tested parents - what I do know is that the numbers have increased significantly - up to 08 there were 52K dogs hips scored - in the following two years or so a further 18K or so dogs were scored - so 1/3rd of the existing number in just over two years - that's quite a significant uplift.

Add to that that in the early days - just 2/3rd of dogs scored came from two hipscored parents - but in the last two years of the database I analysed - this figure rose to around 97% - so again quite a significant uplift while puppy registrations have decreased - with around 6K pups less born in the last two years compared to the preceding two years.

I don't know about elbows - in 2008 - the number of dogs being scored remained low - and getting litters from elbow scored parents was rare - now it is becoming much more common place - both of my last two dogs have come from two elbow scored parents - and five with at least one elbow scored parent - so again - the message is clearly getting through.

Pretty much the large percentage of litters bred now have at least one PRA clear parent, many two.

In Labs - there are even a small number of breeders producing unregistered litters that health test - and wider use of endorsements has led to much tightening on the registered side.

The deed now is to try and get the message across to people about not buyng from untested parents (which with increasing frequency = unregistered = PF or BYB).

A friend and I have been running the Labrador Health website now for a number of years - and visitors to the site, and enquiries to us continue to increase :D

Sadly - there are still some reading the site who thinkg - well - we only want a pet, and "it will never happen to us" - or because they have always bought their dogs that way - they feel like the tests are going OTT - it is only when something happens, either to them, or someone they know - that they proceed to then enquire and buy responsibly :(

What some fail to realise is that actually, if "only wanting a pet" - health tests - particularly PRA, HD and ED are potentially even MORE important - maybe one day the message will get through to people :(

===========================================

In some ways I am all for mandatory testing of dogs for registration - but in the same breath - I can see unless there is a law made that all pups must be registered - all this would achieve is an increase in the number of unregistered unhealthtested litters - making it more difficult to trace ancestry and identify where problems come from when they do arise.

In fairness, Labradors are by in large a very healthy breed - it's just their high numbers ostensibly does sometimes suggest to the contrary - and where you have forums, by their very nature, you will always find a disproportionate number of dogs from all breeds with health problems.

19. DogsEtc

DogsEtc PetForums Newbie

I want to know why it's so hard to get statistics in the first place. I went on the Kennel club website and they have data from 2006 & 2007. For me the data is both interesting and useful because I sell gifts for pet lovers. Although sometimes registrations don't really mean much in the gift world. I find that the smaller breeds are the most popular. Before Pug & Border Terrier made it up the ranks I could have told you how popular they are; along with Chihuahuas and Dachshunds.

I think that people with smaller breeds are perhaps substituting dogs for babies and they are more willing to dote on them and buy them more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice