Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Toothpaste??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Linda Weasel, May 5, 2019.

1. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Has anybody got recommendations please for Doggy Toothpaste?

Since my dog stopped having bones to chew his teeth are getting stained, particularly at the base of the canines.

I used to give him raw beef marrow bones but it seems from what I read this isn’t such a good idea; I’m a bit upset about this cos with the bones he had amazing clean teeth, and now they’re starting to look his age.
    Thanks.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I have some cool stuff that was recommended by my vet, I assume it’s available there too. You spray it at the back of either side of their mouth and I guess their saliva moves it around in their mouth. Like mouthwash I guess! I can’t say they particularly enjoy it, but it’s over a lot quicker and is a lot easier than trying to brush teeth (for me, anyway!) A bit pricey though.

8BABAB04-6DCF-4E9D-AF8A-3AEC60E0CCEC.jpeg

3. Linda Weasel

Thanks, but do you think it works?
    I’m currently seeing a very tiny improvement in my dog’s teeth. I can brush his canines and incisors but can’t get to the molars yet.
    Any tips for that.

Thanks.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Both of my dogs have had dentals this year and I only got this product after my first dog's dental, so I have no real evidence as to whether it works or not. What I do know (and this is just me!) is that I'm far more likely to do a squirt of this every few days than I am to sit down with a toothbrush and an unwilling dog, so from that frame of reference this product is more likely to do something than if I do nothing :Hilarious I also feel like it probably gives a deeper clean (if it works) because it can get into all the nooks and crannies that we can't reach with a doggy toothbrush.

I think with brushing it's the motion of brushing with an abrasive, more than the actual toothpaste itself, that cleans the teeth?

Linda Weasel likes this.
  5. wee man

wee man PetForums Senior

Why did you stop giving your chap bones ! :eek:

Bones are by far the best teeth cleaners, if you are scared about using the beef marrow bones there are others, Lamb bones, Pork bones, chicken wings and carcasses,( turkey, duck, chicken necks) and many more. Bones are far more effective, less stressful for both you and your pet too.

6. Linda Weasel

I stopped the marrow bones because I was reading on this forum that dense weight bearing bones were bad, as regards damage and wear to teeth: And I think maybe his teeth do look a bit worn.

He chews like an alligator and really loves and ‘attacks’ his bones, and I have this deeply ingrained (possibly wrong) belief that lamb, pork or chicken bones can easily splinter and cause damage, so have never given them.

Would appreciate it if someone could put me on the right track with the bone issue.

As far as teeth brushing goes, we’re taking it slowly and he’s ok with it, but its SUCH a faff.

7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Wild carnivores, including wild dogs and wolves suffer from plaque, tartar and periodontal disease too, which for a wild animal unfortunately can lead to death.
    In dogs, if teeth are a problem it can lead to heart issues and sometimes brushing, raw bones just isn't enough either way. Dentition is a problem in some dogs.

@Linda Weasel Logic Gel is the best toothpaste I have found. I tried I think arm and hammer one but I didn't rate it! If you can't brush then it still works if rubbed over the area. I find used in conjunction with something to chew whether a raw meaty bone or a long lasting chew helps.

To climatise Eevee to toothbrushing better, I used coconut oil at first. I did read that it can be used as a natural toothpaste but you know, if we believed everything about coconut oil our dogs and us would eat very little else other than buckets of the stuff. So I don't know if there is any truth but I know she liked it so I thought I would try that and work myself up with her, if that makes sense. Or though she has taken offence to any toothpaste she's not fussy!

I tend to give something to chew about 20 minutes after brushing so the enzymes in the toothpaste have time to work!

8. Linda Weasel

Thanks @lullabydream , I’m using Logic Gel at the moment so I’ll stick with that, then.

Giving a chew after is a good idea.

Now I’m agonising over what sort of chew. My Vet said Rawhide but I also read horror dog choking stories about these.

Perhaps I read too much.

9. wee man

wee man PetForums Senior

All raw bones are safe, there is just the one bone to be cautious with and that is the beef weight bearing bones that many people
    will not use for fear of their dogs breaking their teeth.
    Raw bones do not splinter, it is the cooked ones that are a danger.

niamh123 and Linda Weasel like this.
  10. wee man

wee man PetForums Senior

One of our dogs has worn her lower front teeth and canines down to the gums, simply by when digging she uses her mouth to pull at grass and roots, she's seven years old. This does not stop her eating bones and chicken carcasses though.

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I use logic gel. Rub it on her teeth with my finger occasionally but try to brush regularly.
    Raw bones aggravate Heidi’s tum unless they’re very soft. Don’t break down and can take days to sick back up again. Wing tips is about it and they don’t do lot.
    You could try pizzles. Dehydrated Oxtails. A few thing from zooplus - beef scalp, trachea and hooves get recommended and there’s hooves. Antlers is another option but can chip teeth.
    I’m restricted with anything too hard so will be watching your thread for possible chew ideas.
    I give a chunk of carrot. Heard it’s good for teeth. Enzymes in it??

Linda Weasel likes this.
  12. Vicbloss

Vicbloss PetForums Junior

I just bought mine a Yaker which has gone down well. She has a good chew on it but then is happy to leave it after a while and I take it away and pop it in a sealed box and put in the fridge for another day.
    Might be worth a go?
    http://yakers.co.uk/

Linda Weasel likes this.
  13. wee man

wee man PetForums Senior

14. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

It's also worth noting that brushing their teeth only has an effect if you brush pretty much every day, otherwise there's no point as it makes no difference. A nice bone is fine to give, the issue with weight-baring bones is that if they try to crunch down on the bone it can break their teeth, they are just supposed to gnaw on it. So know your dog (are they they type to try and eat a big bone in 2 bites!?), and supervise when feeding bones, especially weight-baring bones.

Linda Weasel, lullabydream and Torin. like this.
  15. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be looking to stop the more general angles even with toothbrushing. Not least because most people can only manage to brush the outer edge of the teeth next to the lips. But there's still the inside edge and the tops of teeth to think about.

Linda Weasel and lullabydream like this.
  16. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Have to agree with wee man on this all of my dogs teeth have always been pearly white with no tartar ,I don't feed beef marrow bones but feed raw pork,lamb,chicken and pheasant bones

Linda Weasel and wee man like this.
  17. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi tried a braided ostrich tendon today and I’m impressed.
    It’s very fibrous, resembles toothbrush bristles at first. Takes a lot of chewing but softens to more a floss type material. No chipped teeth and no hard chunks to regurgitate at a later date.
    Heidi’s 7.5k and it will last a few goes.
    I cheated and put her logic gel on it:)

Linda Weasel, lullabydream and Torin. like this.
  18. Linda Weasel

Just an update.

Been cleaning Tod’s teeth EVERY DAY since I posted; just the canines and incisors for now as we’re taking it slowly.

No visible difference so gave in and got him a bone, and it did more in 20 minutes than the brushing had done. Definitely reduced staining and his teeth generally look white again.

So I’m going to continue with the brushing but we’re doing bones as well.

19. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Newbie

Maci loves braided ostrich chews.They're great for him because they're low fat (0.46%).He has a longer munch on them than most other treats.He also has CSJ seaweed and parsley,which I think has whitened his teeth but not removed plaque (yet?).

Mum2Heidi and Linda Weasel like this.
  20. Sammyez

Sammyez PetForums Member

The vet recommended Virbac enzymatic toothpaste. Which does seem to do a good job. Using a dog toothbrush is not easy but has helped remove some plaque.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice