Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Too young for raw?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sharon_gurney, May 7, 2010.

1. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

I feed Vogue on raw meat several times per week, over the last couple of days I have noticed some of her kittens tucking in as well.

They will be 6 weeks old on Monday and are eating well but are they too young to be tucking in to mums chicken wings?

Advice please :thumbup:

2. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I don't believe so and mine start out that way. In the outside world it's exactly how kittens are weaned and they'll do so when they're good and ready, some earlier than others.

3. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

No i think raw is fine - many people wean kittens onto raw... i would say its best to be careful with bones to begin with and supervise them when they're eating bones but i'd suspect they prob will eat mostly the meat to begin with anyway! There was a discussion on here yesterday about someone who weans theirs onto raw and then back onto commercial wet food in time for them to go to their new homes but personally think raw is best so wouldnt wean them off the raw at all - if that makes sense! I spose it depends on what the new owner is prepared to feed them tho.

4. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

No, we do this all the time.

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I wean kittens onto raw as i find this easier. I dont start introducing whole bones (they get them minced) until around 8 weeks though, and then its under alot of supervision.

6. doliglwt

doliglwt Banned

hello,

I'm also really keen to wean my kittens onto a raw diet but so worried I'll get it wrong, there is so much to learn!

I've read lots of posts about Bozita but is that raw or cooked? :confused::

bbs'mammy, do you mean you grind or mince bones up with the meat and give them to the kittens - like, ground up chicken wings?

thanks guys,
    K.

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

hiya hun

yes the mince i give them is complete, which means it has enough cardiac meat (taurine), bone and organ meat. Its all minced.

I dont start them on the larger chunks or the raw meaty bones until i am certain they are weaned properly onto the mince first.

hope that helps x

8. doliglwt

doliglwt Banned

Yes, very helpful thanks.

I'll have a go but at the same time, and after much reading, I've decided to buy some Ziwi Peak so I know they're getting the good stuff while I mess around in the kitchen lol!

Mum's done such a superb job up to now, I don't want to let her down!

Attached Files:

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Awww - that little kitten is adorable :001_wub:

Ziwi Peak is great food - smells all meaty if you know what I mean. Try the venison and fish one to start off with, that is the most balanced one in terms of protein, fat etc

Bozita is a cooked meat - chunks in jelly/gravy (the tetrapacks) or pate (the tinned ones). High meat content though and might be a good fall back plan in case your kittens don't like the pate that is Ziwi Peak.

Re the minces - a lot of us use Darlings (Darlings Real Dog food). They also make some cat minces. You can get a trial pack of 3 kg of different minces inc delivery for £10. Unless they have already changed their website, then the cat minces are not advertised on their homepage. You will need to email them. But they are working on making that more visible (Darling Real Cat food).

HtH

#9 hobbs2004, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  10. doliglwt

doliglwt Banned

Dear HtH

Thank you. And thanks so for explaining that in detail. I have read lots of posts on raw food and did see one about Darlings. Naturally I went to the website and couldn't find kitten food so left. After a few false starts like that, I felt like I'd been chasing my tail for weeks.

I will give them a call, it seems like the exact thing I've been looking for. And I really do hope they like Ziwi Peak, I seem to have ordered a tonne!!

:thumbup:

Kay

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice