Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Too stressfull???

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 7, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I am collecting my 4ft tank on thursday, but I need to make it a hood (it only has glass sliding plates and I want to hide my lights)
    I need to get a larger unit for it or buy a metal stand and cover it.
    This will take quite some time and money.

So, I have been offered a basic tank the same volume as mine but different dimensions. I have a spare heater and filter so I was going to set up the basic tank and cycle it using the water from my current tanks water changes, move my fish into it, do my current tank up a bit then sell it as a complete set up without fish to get money to do the 4ft tank up.

Obviously the tanks will be well cycled before having fish in them, but what's the shortest I should leave them to settle in before moving again?

The tank I have been offered is 2ft by 2ft and also has glass sliding lid. My other option is to revamp it, make it a stand, get one of those lights that sit on top or make a hood, then sell it.

What do you think? My 4ft tank is where I want my fish to be, but it will take alot of work and I need some cash cos the metal stand for it is like £50

x

2. Emweeze&Treacle

Emweeze&Treacle PetForums Member

why do you need a hood? Get the lights that fit over the top... thats what i have cos mine has no lid... easier to clean and access... and those lights dont look messy and wirey cos they are designed to fit on top... they look rather proffessional actually... mine was like 120 pound for my 4ft tank.... but they look pretty nice... easier than faffin about with a lid

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would like a hood as my tank I don't think looks all that great with the top showing. it is just a basic tank and I am not keen on the lights than just hook ontop (sorry :))

But I am just going to make a very basic hood that looks nice.

My oh has said I can just order a metal stand, which I will be using mdf to surround it and put a few shelves in for my external filter.

That reminds me- I take it the metal frame stand supports the whole weight of the tank evenly the way all 4 sides are siting on it? And should a 4ft one need support in the middle?

I can't wait to start sorting the tank out, it's going to look much better than my current one, and I can get a couple of bigger plecs :)

Also we have scrapped the idea of moving the fish to sell the tank and am just going to get the stand and start on my tank. It will take a while as need to save up for filter as oh say the one I got is too noisy! Lol and I'm not sure I have enough gravel.

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice