Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Too Skiny

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kiro, May 23, 2018.

1. Kiro

Kiro PetForums Newbie

I have a year old great dane who seems to be allergic to pretty much everything. So since I couldn't afford the hypoallergenic dog foods I've been making his food every day. While he seems to be doing better allergy wise he's gotten really skinny, I can now see and feel his ribs and spine.

What should I try feeding him that might fatten him up a little without having him blow up like a balloon?

2. soya

soya PetForums Junior

I would imagine the goal wouldn’t be to fatten him up, but to ensure he’s getting the proper nutrients in his diet. If he’s lost a fair amount of weight I can only assume he’s not eating enough, or isn’t getting enough protein. What are you feeding him out of curiosity?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Add an extra meal is usually the best way to add weight. So you don't overfed in one sitting which can lead to digestive upset.

If he still doesn't gain weight, it might be worth having blood tests done. Things like low B12 can usually be a sign of malabsorption but with a few weekly bi weekly injections they can really help.

Lurcherlad and Kiro like this.
  4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It may be that you simply aren't feeding him enough.

What is he allergic to and what are you feeding him?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Kiro

Kiro PetForums Newbie

We've been giving him mostly potato-based meals with pork or beef and some cooked vegetables as well. And yes we don't want him to be fat, we just really don't want him to be all skin and bones.

6. soya

soya PetForums Junior

Yeah that’s a pretty incomplete diet, potato has very little nutritional value for dogs. He needs to be on a nutritionally complete meal plan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice