Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Too old to stud?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Becksd20, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Becksd20

Becksd20 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I have a German Spitz (mittel) dog named Harvey. We purchased him from a German Spitz breeder when he was 3-4 years old. We didn't get any papers etc but we know he is pedigree. He is now roughly 10-11 years old and still very much active like a pup and fully healthy.

We are wanting to stud him with another female German Spitz so we can have and keep his or some of his off springs, we are aware that maybe he doesn't have long left in him (we hear spitz live between 13-16 years) and we really want his off springs rather than purchase a random pup.

Is this possible at his age?
    What is required?

2. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

To be honest I think you'd be far better off trying to find a pup from the same lines as your boy rather than breeding from him at such an age.

Age aside, there are all sorts of issues with deciding to use your boy as a stud.

Do you already have a bitch lined up for him? I imagine you'd struggle to find anyone reputable willing to breed their bitch to an unregistered (which he effectively is if you have no paperwork) dog. Do you know his pedigree even if you don't have it? German spitz mittels are not a very common breed in the UK (only 82 and 57 registered in 2012 and 2013 respectively) so not knowing which dogs he is related to could cause problems trying to find an unrelated bitch.

Unless you could get the paperwork sorted from his breeder then none of the puppies could be registered which may not be an issue to you but as they're an uncommon breed you're far less likely to have people willing to buy unregistered pups.

Has he been health tested? I believe German spitz mittels should be at least eye tested under the BVA/KC scheme and some websites I've seen have also mentioned hip scoring. A quick look on Champdogs and the only two stud dogs listed for this breed have both been eye tested. Again, this may well count against him with any bitch owners looking for a stud to use.

I'm sure there will be more experience breeding people along soon who can give you a bit more information about his age specifically.

3. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Yes, too old. Poor boy why would you put him through one possible mating never to do it again, and at this age he may well be losing fertility so you'd be putting him through it all for nothing. Mating is not straightforward and often needs human help - at his age your boy is unlikely to know what to do. It is also a risk - bitches not wanting to be mated are not unusual and human intervention is needed.

Then there are the necessary health tests which will costs £100s.

He has no need for pups - that's human sentimentality, not a dog's.

If you want another, then go back to the breeder and get one from the same lines.

#3 rocco33, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

If you like him so much I would go back to the breeder and ask if you could have another one from them.

However..........................

I think you are confusing pedigree with kennel club registration.

ALL animals have pedigrees (illustrious or otherwise) it is just the name for a family tree.

Dogs can only be registered with the KC if both their parents were/are or were/are with another kennel club with which the UK KC has a reciprocal agreement.

German Spitz Club of Great Britain

All breeding stock should be eye screened annually and there is a problem with epilepsy in the breed.

It is extremely doubtful that any reputable breeder would use an unregistered dog on their bitches in any case particularly with no idea of the background of your dog.

Go to a KC Assured Breeder and buy one, there are some lovely ones about.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice