Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Too much, too quickly :(

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Buttons1, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I'm introducing new foods to Dylan at the moment (MACs and RopoCat) and he started having some of the new food yesterday and had more today, but I think I've rushed the introduction a bit as he loved one of the flavours. He wolfed down the small portion of the new stuff and left the bowl of his old stuff then sat next to his bowl staring at me, so stupidly i gave in and gave him more of the new.

He has just had a really runny poo in the litter tray and yelped a bit when my husband picked him up and touched his tummy :(

What would you normally do in this situation? Would you give him a break from the new food for a bit or would you carry on the introduction but just slow it down a bit?

I'm tempted to forge on and hope he gets used to it after a few days but I obviously don't want him having runny poos for too long and suffering from dehydration.

He has a VERY sensitive tummy and always has, which is why I was moving on to this sensitive range in the first place

2. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Since he had his runny poo he has been bouncing around full of beans and has just started asking for food so he's obviously not poorly. I might wait a bit and feed him just before bed (his usual food)

3. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

Mix a tiny amount of new in with his usual food, gradually over a week or two increase the ratios and wean out the old!

4. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Thanks - I'm hoping to add these new brands in to his current rotation to give a bit of variety. I'm happy with his current food (natures menu and hi-life) I just feel he's getting bored of them.

I have been putting the two meals in separate bowls so he gets used to them separately. I'm hoping that's the right thing to do.

What would be a normal amount of new to start with? Ive read different advice on this. Doing it teaspoon by teaspoon just seems such slow progress, but maybe I'm just a bit impatient. I have always started with 25% of new then after a few days 50/50 then full meals of new after a week

5. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Teaspoon at a time, especially if there has been a reaction!

6. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

A teaspoon at each meal? (he has 4 meals a day) or one teaspoon a day?

Also, I have bought quite a few different flavours, would I need to do this kind of intro to every flavour?

7. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Yup! It's the best way to minimise a reaction :)

8. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Blimey, it's going to be a long few weeks :eek:

I guess I just need to accept I'm going to have to throw quite a bit away. I have 200g tins but I'll never get through a tin before it goes off if I'm doing a teaspoon a day.

It will be worth it though, I'd really like him to be on these regularly

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I'd keep an eye on this as this sounds like a rather severe reaction to the new food or if not an infection of some sort. Is he eating/drinking OK?

I'd also feed him something bland for a day or two ie white fish or chicken.

10. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

He has been off his food for a few days which is one of the reasons I was rushing the new food a bit, I thought he had become bored of the same thing. I guess it could be something else.

When he has had runny poos before the vet thought it was a reaction to eating something different and we found out he was being fed milk by a neighbour.

Is it not common for a new food, introduced too quickly, to cause runny poos?

11. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Right, I've put tiny portions of the new food in to baby weaning pots and put them in the freezer. I will bring out one pot a day and maybe double up the pots after a week or so. Then do the same with the next flavour etc. I feel a bit more organised now. No more rushing it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice