Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

too much stimulation ?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by rachel57, Aug 14, 2009.

1. rachel57

rachel57 PetForums Junior

our pup is 9 weeks old now and im just wondering if you can give a puppy too much attention

#1 rachel57, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Yes you can:) How old are your kid's? And how much rest does you pup have?

3. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

It's great that the kids are wanting to play with the puppy but they need to be shown how to be with him... ie not to pull and tug at him, to be gentle with him and how to show him respect.

One thing that I would advise is that you teach your puppy the command 'gentle' when giving treats or food so that you reduce the risk of nibbled fingers :) Have the children practise this command too.

You didn't mention the ages of your children so its a bit difficult to advise but if they are old enough, they could help you with training as this would help them to understand how to behave with him. When your puppy has had enough stimulation, he'll probably just fall over and go to sleep.

4. rachel57

rachel57 PetForums Junior

My children are 4 and 7 . they are realy good with him and i do think it will die down soon its just that we have had him for a week so its all so new .

#4 rachel57, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  5. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

When we picked Barney up from RSPCA, the lady there said to play with Barney loads, let him have "cat" naps as this will help them sleep through the night.

I remember being told when my childrens were babies to not let them sleep all day or they'll be awake all night.

6. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

At that age the need to be treated like babies. The need LOADS of sleep during the day. If they don't get it they can end up like over-tired cranky kids. They also need the sleep for developmental reasons, again, just like kids.

7. HighPr00

HighPr00 Banned

So long as they leave him alone when he wants to rest or sleep I don't see any problem with it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice