Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Too much for a senior dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Kawaii_cdn, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Kawaii_cdn

Kawaii_cdn PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone I’m new here, just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on walking my 9 years old golden retriever. Ever since we asked our tenant to help us look after our dog because of a family trip, he’s gotten used to helping us walk Fido (our dog) everyday when he goes for his everyday hiking exercises without asking for anything in return. Should I still walk Fido after his (half to one hour) walk with our tenant? Will it be too tiring for Fido because I think our tenant is starting to play with him as well (sometimes). We don’t really have a problem with him walking Fido because our family members all go to work and used to only walk Fido around twice per week, so we think what he is doing is actually nice for Fido. I am the only student in my family, and I think right now I can start to take my dog with me to the library everyday, so therefore walking him at the same time. Will it be too much for Fido because he is almost 10 (2020)? And also, how long can I leave Fido outside the library unattended? Also he is very gentle and friendly so will it be safe to do so?

#1 Kawaii_cdn, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  2. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Please please Don't leave your dog outside the library unattended for any length of time!
    I'm assuming you wouldn't leave your phone or your laptop outside the library so why would you leave your dog?
    I wouldn't leave my dog unattended anywhere for any length of time!

People steal dogs! And as your dog is gentle and friendly it would be very easy for someone to come along and take him.

As for the excercise question, I would be guided by your dog.
    If he seems to be coping well with the exercise and doesn't appear to be stiff or sore then I would say hes doing fine.
    If he's not been exercised regularly for some time though, just increase it gradually to allow his muscles and stamina to adjust.
    Just like us, if we go from doing no walking to walking 10 k in a day, we will struggle, but if we build up distance slowly we will really benefit from it and manage it with very few problems.

The extra exercise that Fido is getting now, can only do him good, both physically and mentally.

lorilu, niamh123 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Kawaii_cdn

Ok then, I guess that answers my question… It’s just that my dog is a living creature unlike just a cellphone or a laptop but I was worried because of his nature/personality. I’ve seen people tie their dogs outside so that’s why i was asking and also usually i only go in to drop the book in the return section because our library does not allow returning outside when it is open (9am-9pm).

Thank you for your advice, though. I guess I won’t take him with me when I go to the library then. I just thought it might be another way to bond + walk him since I walk there instead of taking the bus or driving. :(

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

5. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

There are lots of ways to bond with a dog. Yes walking is indeed a great way, but it's certainly not the only way.
    You could still walk him, just not to the library, or anywhere, where you would need to tie him up outside and leave him unattended. Maybe a walk just locally, a nice sniffy walk, where he can just amble along and sniff about, when I take my dog out on this type of walk I point things out for him to have a sniff at.

But then there's training, a fab way to bond with your dog. Teach him some easy tricks, or work on polishing up his general obedience, I'm not suggesting for a second that your dog isn't well behaved, but all dogs can do with a little refresher course from time to time.

Even just sitting with your dog while watching tv or even studying, just being in the same space as your dog, an occasional ear scratch or gentle stroking session, can be a bonding experience.
    Doggy massage is great too. There is something called T Touch which are specific massage techniques especially for dogs, not hard to do. Maybe look that up.

Talk to your dog, I talk to mine all the time, he can't understand everything I say obviously, but he knows from my tone of voice how I'm feeling and often responds appropriately. Your dog will enjoy the sound of your voice, and dogs are great listeners, although I'm sure from time to time my dog thinks " I wish she'd shut up for a bit, I'm trying to sleep" !

I'm sure there are lots of other ways to bond too, but that's a few ideas that you might find give you an idea. You will find what works for you and your dog, after all we, and they, are all different.

I'm pleased you want to bond with Fido, you will both benefit so much from that.
    Wishing you all the best.

Linda Weasel and niamh123 like this.
  6. Kawaii_cdn

OMG everyone’s probably going to scold me for saying this, but first I edited my post because I looked at my dog’s birth certificate and it says he’s 9 instead of 7 (I calculated from the year we got him but I forgot to add that we got him when he was 1 year and a half) . He used to be a service dog and he is retired now. The thing about bonding with him…

I have to admit I wanted to choose this way deliberately because golden retrievers shed like crazy even after you brush them, and he is a bit OVER friendly sometimes…once I start stroking him he won’t let me stop and will keep nudging me even after my hand/arm is sore. He’ll follow me around and block my way to make me keep rubbing him behind his ear etc.
    I know people are going to be surprised at his behavior since he used to be a working dog but it’s true and there’s endless playtime with him once you START. That’s why I’m choosing methods such as walking him to bond with him :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice