Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Too many options and feeling overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by coatesa, May 22, 2017.

1. coatesa

coatesa PetForums Newbie

Hello, first post here :)

I have been reading a lot of threads but I am feeling slightly overwhelmed by all the helpful information.

We are first time dog owners as a family (have had dogs separately) and will be owners of a Sprocker (Springer/Cocker) Spaniel on June 10th. She will be 8 weeks old.

I wouldn't say "money's no object" or that I want the "best of the best" in terms of dog food, but I definitely don't want to feed her rubbish!! Orijen is probably too expensive for us - but that's all I have decided so far.

I'm tempted to feed her on a raw diet but not sure if this is advised from 8 weeks?

I know she is currently being fed James Wellbeloved which I'd continue with if it's good? What is good! ARGGHHHHHH

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

There are Sticky Threads on food quality/price and raw at the start of this section which give lots of info.

Also allaboutdogfood website is useful.

All I would say is keep the pup on the same food as the breeder for a few weeks while she settles as it will be a big upheaval for her.

You can search for specific topics which will bring up threads which lots of tips, advice and members' experiences and opinions.

3. coatesa

coatesa PetForums Newbie

I've been looking on the allaboutdogfood website, I almost find there to be tooooo much variety - but then I guess I'll never know until I try the puppy on something.

That is a good idea with the food, I'll keep her on JWB for a month.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

On allaboutdogfood you can set filters for your dog's age, activity levels etc then filter again to see only the scores you want - for example 4 out of 5 and above. That helps narrow it down a lot.

Lurcherlad and coatesa like this.
  5. coatesa

coatesa PetForums Newbie

It suggested Akela 80:20, Eden Dog Food and Millie's Wolfheart. I think I'm most interest in Millie's, mainly because they aren't too far from me!

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Don't get too hung up about feeding.

Choose a food that suits your purse, your dog and convenience
    JWB seems to be in the average category, so I wouldn't stress about it too much. ;)

7. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I really would not get too exercised about feeding your dog.

Yes you can feed raw from 8 weeks but if you are not experienced I would not recommend it for several reasons although you can use commercially processed ready meals from Natural Instinct etc.

There are plenty of good dog foods out there and be assured that ALL must meet FEDIAF guidelines and provide complete nutrition for your dog (if they are completes)

So see what is convenient for you at your local shop, James Wellbeloved is a good diet so keep her on it.

Dogs do well on all sorts of diets.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I feed Millie's - it's good stuff and good value for money.

9. rona

rona Still missing my boys

It's just someones opinion of what is good.

If your dog like it, it keeps your dogs movements firm, your dog is active, lively and has a good coat then it's good for your dog :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice