Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Too many kittens??

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by draculita, Jun 25, 2009.

1. draculita

draculita PetForums Member

Hi

My girl had 7 kittens 3 weeks ago (2nd litter), unfortunately she has had diarrhea constantly. After 4 visits with my vet and my queen still losing weight I am still at a loss. Basically my vets opinion is that 7 kittens is too much and the queen could die. I have changed her food twice, she has been wormed, I have used pro-koalin and still have problems.
    Has anyone else had this experience, is 7 too many, is she losing weight because of the diarrhea or feeding that many kittens?

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya!

My girl had 8, I have know some to ahve 9 and be fine, my girl ate ALOT while feeding, I had to hand feed her while she fed the kits! :)

Maybe top them up, which is whta I did to give her a break? She had runny poop before they were born anda little why they were young but it went after

I used cimi cat milk & a bottle

Hope this helps!

3. draculita

Yes I will try and top them up, but I find it so difficult. My girl eats tonnes, but her weight keeps dropping.

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Only another week and you can start weaning and that will take some of the pressure off mum. 7 isn't too many - what are you feeding her?

5. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

What is she eating?
    As above, maybe bottle feed them a bit more and then they can start to be weaned soon?

6. Mochali

Mochali PetForums Member

Some queens do loose weight when having a large litter...keep feeding her chicken and fish and high quality foods :)

7. draculita

She was originally on James wellbeloved, and then the vet changed her to Hills kitten, dried and wet. I also top her up with cooked chicken & rice.

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Try some Applaws to whet her appitite.

9. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

I give mine rc baby cat, since using it I noticed that dont drop too much weight while feeding the kittens.

Although its probably not a good idea to be swapping and changing foods now, I think your best option is to top the kittens up as the others have already said. You could also start early weaning at about 3.5-4 weeks. You could try the kits with a mix of babyrice and cimicat. My first queen fizz had trouble keeping the weight on after giving birth, the early weaning definatly helped her.

Best of luck jen x

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya take her off of what you change her onto, hills isnt any good anyway, James well beloved is a million times better!

Thats prob why she has a tum upset for new food!

give her some boiled chicken to, it might settle it down :)

11. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

You need to be feeding her good quality, high protein foods, and any dry food does not fall into that category. She is eating so much because she needs the cals, but if those aren't of the right quality, ie slow energy releasing then she has to eat more and more, and that is overloading her digestive system. Will she eat raw ? Try beef or lamb mince.

You could also try some goats yoghurt, mix in a bit of honey and a raw egg yolk. The goats yoghurt is live so will help her digestive system, so will the honey, and the raw egg yolk is a high quality protein. That mixture does seem to help boost milk production. If she is not used to raw yolks though, try her with just one first to make sure it doesn't make her runs worse.

12. draculita

Thank you to everyone, some really useful info.

13. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Poor girl :(

We give our queen, who is nursing 7 babies, Applaws wet and RC baby cat. We are also topping up the babies with Cimicat, which mummy cat likes to drink too :)

Hope she perks up soon xx

14. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

Both I would think.

Diarrhoea means she won't be getting the goodness from what she is eating as her bowel is probably inflamed and 7 kittens means that anything she does manage to get goodness from is going straight out in the milk in feeding her kittens. The result is that more is going out than staying in so she will lose weight.
    As well as some good quality food I would get your vet to check for TF, just to be on the safe side.
    Tritrichomonas foetus infection in cats

As her diarrhoea is constant I would make sure she gets plenty of fluids or some wet food too.

15. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

O dear, poor girl!

You had better keep a very close eye on her hydration, and if you have to, just hand feed the kittens - it won't be for too long now. Perhaps you could get away with removing three or four of them at a time say for 12 hours each so she has one lot during the day and a different lot at night, that way they still get washed properly and she doesn't run herself down quite so much. Obviously they will need topping up if you remove them for more than four hours (though they can go overnight at this age without coming to any harm)

I had a cat that used to look like an RSPCA case every time she had kittens, some just seem to produce so much milk that they get really really thin. But lots of cats cope with seven or eight.

Liz

16. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I had a lot of problems with Misty after her litter. She was exactly the same and losing weight by the day. Unfortunately she was eating the kittens Whiskas or chicken and it just ran through her.

She has Royal Canin biscuits but always seemed to be needing more food.

I tried many foods with her buying prescription foods from Zooplus etc. Last week I started her on Highlife fish only and it seems to have helped immensely. She is now gaining weight and no runs for a week.

Unfortunately thee vet was not much help at all and just advised sticking to the dry food.

Anyway, I hope you get to the bottom of it and she is well again soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice