Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Too Darn Hot!! and a little paranoid!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ducky, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

Gosh, its so warm today. Skye is going stir crazy haha. She would live outside if i let her, but its just a bit too warm right now.
    She is usually fine and sits in the shade, but Kody is terrible and just sits in the sun the whole time and gets too hot! So im just keeping them in for the moment. I took them for a quick walk round the block to sate them, but they were panting like mad after just a few mins!
    Kody is quite happy sleeping most of the day anyway hehe.

I would usually let skye just go outside herself, but something weird happened the other day and now im a bit paranoid to let her out herself.
    The way our house works is we have a front garden with an iron fence and big gates which lead down the driveway straight into the back garden. As long as the front gates are shut (which is always unless the cars are going in or out), the dogs have free run of that whole area, which is fine.
    But the other day, my mum was in the house herself with the 2 dogs who were both asleep. When all of a sudden the both woke up and started barking. Then my mum heard someone outside the house whistling and saying "here boy". My mum locked the back door and went and looked out the front and the gate had been opened. She didnt see anyone though. So now we are a bit paranoid that someone is trying to take the dogs.

Eek, not good. So i dont really wanna let her out just now. So paranoid.

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Oh that's not good!

I'm very aware of dog theft as I own two breeds thieves tend to target. Because of that I now have a tall padlocked gate to the back garden and am always quick to stress my boys' weaknesses if strangers ask about them eg both have been neutered, Alfie has no prey drive (OK so that one's stretching the truth a bit!).

With regards to the hot weather- my boys have a paddling pool which they're spending a lot of time in to keep cool and I'm trying to stick to walks through shaded areas like the woods and am going out later in the day than usual so they don't overheat.

It's horrible feeling like your dogs are in danger but much better to be over cautious than lose them.

3. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

If you do feel that someone is after your dogs I would def keep them inside for the time being.

I too have dogs that are very attractive to thieves and have to be very careful about where I walk and like Bex says I tell them all about their faults - they live with cats, they dont chase bunnies and dont like strangers (all of which is a total lie) but hey if it means their safe.

Try giving them some ice cubes to cool down.

4. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

This is something that worries me when people leave dogs tied up outside shops. I'd be so frightened of someone taking him.

The ice cubes is a great trick. WE do that with the dogs at the yard when they are out during the day (they roam free as ratters). We freeze an ice cream tub full of water and leave this for them along with their normal water. Sometimes as a treat we use sugar free vimto/cordial, they love it.

Also, re someone trying to take your dog, could you not padlock the gate when you are out?

5. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

the dogs are never left in the garden when im not there, i would just be in the house. and i do check on them regularly. but for the time being im definitely not going to be leaving them outside alone just in case. and yeah, i never leave my dogs tied up outside shops, i just would never risk it.

we got them a paddling pool the other day! and for a dog who LIVES for water, skye doesnt seem to care for it too much lol. she likes when i splash about with her, but the rest of the time the pair of them just use it as a giant drinking bowl hehe.

they had some ice today as well actually, though not really through me giving them it. they just nabbed it off the ground, as we had a bit of a disaster and the freezer switched off last night and everything was ruined!!! so there was ice and water everywhere. sigh!!

6. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Alfie wasn't sure about the pool at first either so I got him to play in it by throwing floating and non floating toys into it for him to fish out. He soon got the idea and now he spends ages just standing in it cooling off.

With Otto the problem is getting him out more than getting him in!

Emptying a tray of ice cubes into the pool is always a winner as well because they float so the dogs can see them but they're too slippery to be grabbed easily!

7. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

haha thats a good idea! i might do that!!

8. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Yesterday was the first day I could take Rupert out properly after his jabs so I took him to the yard with me to meet the gang (2 jack russells called Butch and Ronnie, 2 jack x chiuaha's called Petra and Molly and a chiuaha called Alfie). Alfie is the youngest, he's only a year old and the two of them spent a solid hour racing round the field like a pair of mentalists. He had the time of his life and took a flying leap into the pond!

Frightened me as I though he'd drown but he paddled to the other side, got out, shook himself off and carried on.

Somehow I don't think water is an issue...except at bath time as he had to have another one last night as he reeked of pond water!

:D

9. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

haha id have freaked at that too. its amazing how natural they are at swimming (most of the time)

10. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I have bike combination locks on each side of our gate. Mostly because I can be in the front room and out the back someone could open the gate and let him out and I wouldn't hear a thing. It is scarey like that and I wouldn't dare leave him out on his own anywhere.

Not sure how often golden retrievers get nicked but I think I will be even more careful when we move (be in a busy town) :(

11. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

it is soooooo hot here. We've had a thunder storm but it seems to have got hotter since :(

12. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

was another fairly hot one here too.

im doing dog walking at the dogs trust tomorrow too. unfortunately we walk the dogs during the hottest parts of the day. i think if its this hot tomorrow, il give them shorter walks and then maybe give them a good brush in the shade.

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

It's too warm here too. I wish I could talk Buster into a paddling pool but mister tough rugged terrier :rolleyes: couldn't possibly get his precious paws wet. He wouldn't even go out for a walk this morning because it was too warm

14. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

I want to get a paddling pool for Oscar but he has a thing for biting plastic and I think he'd burst the pool!!

15. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Mine used to have an inflatable ring at the top but that got Lurchered:rolleyes:

It's a lot harder to fill now but it still works.

Here's the vandal in question demonstrating the use of paddling pools!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice