Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

'tones' of threads

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lizzyboo, May 8, 2011.

1. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

ive just been reading through some old and present threads in both the general chat and dog section of the forums.

do you think when people reply to posts, they mean their posts to sound 'off'? quite a few original posts have had answers that when you read them, it kind of sets an edge to what the poster has written. admittedly some of the original questions/posts have been a bit silly but in my opinion, if somebody is asking for advise, no matter how stupid the question may sound to you (it obviously wasnt a stupid question to who ever wanted the answer) isnt in everyones best interests to answer that question diplomatically?

and completely off thread topic.... why is it raining when i have two loads of washing to dry? :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Ooooohhhh....give us some examples of threads that you found. :)

To be honest, I reckon that some people use this forum to vent because they have so little control over everything else in their life at the time of making the post. All of a sudden, the anger of having no money, more brown letters on the doorstep and the fact that their friend let them down that day gets poured into a reply to some innocent bystander who only wanted to know if Whiskas or Kitecat was the best tinned food.

:eek:

3. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

i like your reasoning x

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I raised a similar thread about a month or so ago. Some people seem to pride themselves on their 'straight talking' but don't appear to understand that their style of 'straight talking' can be perceived as aggressive when it's written down.

I try to pepper my posts with smiles & 'funny face' thingys if I am replying directly to a question asking for advice or has a question needing answered.

If someone is just asking what my thoughts are on something, I may be less inclined to do so.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

It always is and will be hard to judge the manner of which a post is written in, but i cant understand why many always take it as negative or in a nasty manner, when it can be interpreted both ways.

6. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Well said, it's a forum and people will post in all manner of styles :)

It's up to the individual take it or leave it and as long as there is no swearing at members or abuse, there should not be an issue? It would be a boring place to visit (Pet Forums) if everyone posted in the same way :D

7. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I'm not sure, some people can just be really blunt without meaning to be rude and others do seem purposefully rude. I've been a bit miffed by some posts when I have posted a thread and have asked people about it and sometimes they weren't being rude at all, so agree that you can read in to peoples writing styles at times :)

8. Me neither:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice