Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tomorrows the day!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sarahdisco, Jun 4, 2010.

1. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

OH has finally given up with the begging/houding and trying to escape and decided tomorrow we'll let Spartacus out.

She's now 7 months, had all her jabs, been spayed etc. There's no reason now not to let her out as we'd always said we'd let her make the decision. If she decided she wanted to go out then she'd be an outside cat.. and if she didnt we wouldnt force her.

Its reasonably safe here - no real main roads and there are a few adult cats round and about (you never see any unfortunate ones who've been knocked down).

Only thing I'm worried about is her going out, exploring, and not coming back in. Anyone had experience in this and her coming back? I've heard about butter on her paws but does that work? How much butter? lol!

Any advice appreciated. I understand that some people will think "dont let her out" but I cant keep her indoors if she's not happy. She's getting pretty desperate to go out now.

Thanks

2. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

maybe take her out on a harness first... show her the area and various routes home from the interesting areas (fields, trees, woods, ponds etc) and that way she starts having her 'internal map' built up by you and it lays down some scent trails for her to follow.

This only has to take a week....

Then graduate to off lead but with you in the garden with her until she is more confident.

Also... only take her outside when she's hungry... that way she'll come for dinner when you call hopefully.

3. memmarmite

memmarmite PetForums Member

I can't speak from experience but what I've read indicates that the first couple of times they go out should be shortly before their scheduled mealtimes - she won't stray too far if she knows dinner is on the way!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice