UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what's the best way to go about getting a dog used to a toilet command? She is house trained, but if she does know a word for it, I don't know what word it is!!

At the moment I've been ignoring her in the garden, letting her mooch, just standing quietly, and when she goes I'll say 'Have a wee' a couple of times.. then really praise her afterwards.
Is this the right way of going about it? I'm not sure if I should praise her as soon as she starts or what!

Also, whether to go in straight afterwards, when we're just in the garden. Sometimes we go out and she hares around like a loon, and other times she paws at the door to go back in.. I'm not sure if taking her straight in after she's done her business, is reward or the opposite?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Sounds as if you're on the right track and "have a wee" is fine. Praise and tit-bit the minute she's finished and then is doesn't matter whether she goes to the back door or hares off around the garden.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant! Thankyou :)

This is a completely different issue, but may aswell not make another thread for a little thing... regarding leaving dogs home alone; I can't rememebr where I got it from but to ignore your dog when you first arrive home?
If they have separation anxiety mainly, (Sophie's just VERY excited when I arrive in the flat, and I know she yips a bit when I leave), ignoring them when you first walk through the door lessens the 'big deal' of you arriving home?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that is right, also if dogs jump up when arriving home through excited you are suppose to turn your back on them as a calming method :)
Oh I do that plenty! haha, one muddy overexcited dog is not what I want up on me.. She's very quick to learn jumping up gets her nowhere :) Thankyou.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.