Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet Training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by smegs1978, Jul 29, 2009.

1. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

Hello again,

Am after some more advice.

We have had Barney now for a week and we are getting no were with his toilet training.

I take him out after his food and every hour if i can, however we are having more wees and poos in the house than in the garden.

He doesn't seem to show any signs when he wants to go.

We have been crating him at night, but he is not waking me up to go, he is weeing in his bed :-(

We have only just been able to give him treats as he has had a poorly tummy from worms.

I've bought him various different varieties of puppy treats but he doesn't seem to be interested in any. I read somewhere that cheese might be a good thing to use.

If he does anything in the house then we just ignore him and clean it up, and when he does it in the garden we praise him.

I am hoping when he starts going for walks next week it might get a bit easier.

Also we have no idea how old he is, is there anyway to find out. The RSPCA thought he might be about 8 weeks but i think older.

2. boxerlife

boxerlife PetForums Junior

Sorry your having difficulty with the dreaded toilet training! Is the crate small enough for him? If its too big he could be able to go toilet at one end and still be able to sleep away from his toileting.
    Also if he has been doing it more in the house i would imagine the scent is still there, even if you clean with disinfectant etc, your dog will still be able to smell his scent. Ive heard that you can buy some stuff from vets that gets rid of any scent. HTH.

3. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

You're probably doing this already, but you need to give loads and loads of praise when he goes in the right place - his tail will wag lots when he gets the message! My pup is four months now and has only just stopped weeing in her bed relliably - the poop training was much quicker.

I've also been using an odour and stain eliminator (Doc Martins brand) on stains in the house, don't actually know but I was assuming it took away scent for dogs as well as humans... someone else might know.

4. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

i have only just trained my pup to use a puppy pad I havent even started training him to go outside and he is 12 weeks old we go for a wander round the garden 3 or 4 times a day and he has pooped once out there, he seems to like to come back home and use the pads atm - i have only had him 4 days though, he does still have accidents, which is understandable.

Oh and, i plan on using warm hotdogs as treats when i am training him to heal and return and stuff.

Oh and..... he has now learnt what 'fetch' means!!! runs me ragged he does lol

Hope you're having lots of fun with him, regardless of the loo probs, if you keep repeating yourself and praise like ur mental when he does anything good - i am sure eventually he will only want to please you.

5. iceman

iceman PetForums Junior

hey there, i found that taking the pup out as soon as it wakes up also helps with the training & your doing right with the taking out after eating. It all takes time but will come round eventually.
    what breed of dog is it?you can usuall tell roughly by the size of its teeth how old it is.
    hope all goes well

6. lexie13579

lexie13579 PetForums Junior

Hi

Im having the same problem as you. Shadow has not had worms though but he does more wees and poos inside rather than out side.

Shadow is now coming up 14 weeks old.

Im getting told that he is too young to be toilet trained and will have to carry on unil hes a good 6 months.

Sorry i cant advise you but as i said im in the same situation as you.

But good Luck!

7. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

I am shocked that you are told this, our 12 week old puppy does have accidents in the house but that is purely our fault for not having made sure she's been to the toilet otherwise she knows exactly where she goes to the toilet - OUTSIDE and is happy to do so

In the last 2 weeks she has only messed in her bed once and I went to bed with the feeling that I may wake up to a present, purely because I wasn't sure she'd been before we went to bed.

To the OP, if your dog isn't interested in commercial treat have you tried making your own (I think someone posted a load of recipes) or using cheese as you said? Only thing about cheese is be careful how much you give as it is very fattening and if you have had a bad tummy I'm not sure it would be the best thing because of it's high fat content.

Good luck with the toilet traing, sometimes it feels as if you will never win but you do

8. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

Me too! Although dogs don't have proper control over their bladders until 5-6 months old, they can still be toilet trained, although they will probably have the odd accident. My pup is 4 months and is rarely having any accidents now, and is going to the door and looking up at us expectantly when she wants to go out :thumbup:

9. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

My pup was doing really well with toilet training when he was about 12 weeks old.
    Though we had the odd accident up until he was 4 months.

However, I always made him go outside as soon as he woke up, after eating, after drinking, after playing etc, I also used a word, which was 'outside' after a week he got the hint that when we said 'outside' he had to go outside for the toilet and he was really happy to do so, he'd come bounding a long wagging his tail.

Once he was outside, he kept trying to come back in, but I made sure we waited outside in the garden until he did his business, even if it was for 10-15 minutes, cos I knew if I let him back in he'd do it outside. Then he learned really quickly, and to praise him I just made a big fuss of him and said 'good boy'.

Good luck, I'm sure he'll get the hang of it in the end, it's just patience, you've only had him for a week, so just keep perservering! :)
    x

10. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Firstly, all dogs show signs that they are about to pee or poo, they sniff and squat... that's the sign. When you see that sign, pick him up and tell him what you are doing... ie 'out for piddles' or whatever. Stay outside with him until he does his business and then tell him what a good boy he is and reward him.

Times to take your puppy outside are when he wakes, after eating or drinking, after playing... pretty much every hour or so. When you take him outside, tell him why. Talk to your puppy, he will learn a lot quicker. Use different tones for good and bad, low tone is usually for bad (like a dog growling) and high tone is usually for good.

When you ignore him for going indoors, you are inadvertantly telling him that what he's done is fine and he will continue to do it. You have to tell him no when you catch him doing it, how is he going to learn if you ignore the bad behaviour :rolleyes:

11. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

You are expecting FAR too much.

At 8 weeks and for a looong time yet, the puppy has NO control over its bladder, and very little over its bowels. When it needs to go, it needs to go NOW. Would you expect an 8 week old baby not to need nappies?

If he isn't waking you when he needs to go in the night, you need to set your alarm at intervals and let him out. It would be a good idea to move the crate into your room so you can hear when he starts to stir, pop him outside and then quietly back into his crate to go back to sleep.

You need to take him outside FAR more frequently. Every 20 minutes is the recommended time for a little one. Take him out, stay outside for as long as it takes for him to perform, and put a word to it while he's performing so that eventually he will go on cue.

NEVER tell him off for making a mistake, otherwise you risk him becoming fearful of weeing in front of you. He won't realise you're telling him off for weeing in the wrong place - he will think you are telling him off for weeing at all.

Clean up accidents with a solution of biological washing powder/liquid.

Mainly though, you need to take him out far more often. Remember:

Every 20 minutes AND

After food
    After a drink
    After play
    After a training session
    When he wakes after a nap
    During the ad breaks when you're watching telly
    Any other time you think of it

He will only learn where the toilet is, if he is there when he needs to go.

12. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes I'm in the same situation with our nearly 15 week old pup too. One bit she seemed to be really getting the idea of going in the garden but now it's all gone pearshaped and she's pooing and weeing in the living room and kitchen again. :rolleyes: This rainy weather isn't helping either although she is pretty good and will go out in the rain. It's just she doesn't give any warning - no sniffing or anything so you can't really tell when she wants a wee. I have been doing all the usual things like taking her out when she wakes up and after her food etc.

I'm just glad she's a Bichon and not a St Bernard like the puppy down the road who is exactly the same age as her.:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice