Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

toilet training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by *cupcakes*, Mar 24, 2017.

1. *cupcakes*

*cupcakes* PetForums Newbie

Hi I've had my puppy for 1 week and she is settling in well. Toilet training has been going fairly well with lots of little accidents of course. I have noticed today she seems reluctant to pee outside and doing little pees in the same area of the living room. Pooping outside fine... any advice please

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If there are lots of accidents you need to take her outside more often and keep a much closer eye on her.

As soon as she wakes, after a meal, after playing, etc.

Clean the area she has soiled with hot water and biological washing solution and rinse well. If possible, block that area with a piece of furniture or her food station. They won't soil where they eat.

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Ideally you want her to not be in a position where she needs to toilet before you have her outdoors, so that every toilet is outside - as far as possible, there will be accidents! So set her up to succeed by taking her out even more than she needs; for example every 45 minutes to an hour and always after sleeping, eating, playing. When she toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward her with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make her come to you for the treat so she is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that she wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until she is outside - once she is physically able to control her toileting obviously. If she has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed she may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if she needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want. As she is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words she can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when she is reliably trained you can use these to tell her when you want her to toilet.

Indoors if you see her circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get her out fast.

Use a biological enzyme cleaner where she has already toileted to remove any smell that might attract her back to the same places.

4. *cupcakes*

*cupcakes* PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the advice... I have been taking her out after she wakes and eats... so I will definitely take her out more frequently. She just seemed reluctant to pee outside today. I have never spent so much time in my garden lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice