Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

toilet training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by redrach, Sep 3, 2013.

1. redrach

redrach PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice regarding toilet training.

Morrie's 9 weeks and has been with us 2 weeks now. We live in a 3rd floor apartment and toilet training is tough. During the night he sleeps in his own bed in our bedroom and since day 1 I don't think he's had a single accident at night, he always wakes us with a few barks. We then carry him out and he does his business.

During the day we ignore any accidents in the house and quickly clean them up. When he does go outside we praise him saying 'pee pees' and 'poo poos'. Usually once he's outside he knows why. The problem is he doesn't really give us any indications during the day. We always take him out after long naps, food and play. But, he still has regular accidents. Even when he starts sniffing around and we realise, he's usually gone by the time we get out shoes on and pick him up.

I realise it's going to take time to train him, and I don't mind a few accidents during the day in the meantime. We're actually pretty pleased with his progress so far. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for encouraging him to let us know when he needs to go. I've heard about people using bells, but then having problems with the dog then using it just to get outside, and would rather try to avoid this problem.

Thanks.

2. danielled

danielled Guest

When he goes outsid what I did with my bo wa praise him like mad saying good boy and gave him a treat so he knew going outside was good. They need to go out after having a drink, eating, play and a nap. Try taking him out every 30 minutes.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice