Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training - the next stage??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Cuddypuppy, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

Nelly pug is nearly 9 weeks old. For a little one she has been doing really well going for a wee/poo in the garden and is clean all through the night. I just wondered how this will progress. In other words when, typically, might she indicate that she wants to go out, as opposed to me taking her out when I think she needs to go. I do realise that it is very early days yet, but was just wondering based on other people's experiences with their pups.

I am making sure that we go out through the same door each time.

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

hon she'll figure it out - well you hope lol

With mika he just went to the door as soon as he wanted to go out. I think Nelly will do the same, in time.

3. Scarlett03

Scarlett03 PetForums Junior

Watching this thread with interest as Oscar, who is 20 weeks, isn't telling us when he wants to go, nor does he go to the back door. I'm hoping he will get the hang of it soon. I don't want to hijack your thread but any suggestions would be helpful.

4. Cuddypuppy

You are more than welcome to hijack - no problemo! I am hoping Nelly pug will just make her way to the door - fingers crossed. I will let you know if we make any further progress. :D

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Do either of you use a word when you take pups out ?

I use to ask Tyler when we took him out,I would say do you need to go out,repeating the OUT,and say come on then,I would also have a treat so he would follow me outside ;)

They will eventually get the hang of it,mine now go to the door and we still ask if they need out LOL,they don't move from the door,or they will come and head bunt us and go back to the door ;) :)

6. Cuddypuppy

I say, "do you wanna go wee wee"! and she follows me to the door. I do have to lift her out though, as the step is way to big for her to cross yet. :blushing:

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Awww! Bless her!

We have a drop from our patio on to the grass and always had to lift meg up and down for a few months.

She will eventually get the hang of letting you know she needs to go out :)

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Mine is 5 months and though housetrained doesnt actually ask to go out. Mind you I either have the door open or second guess her and take her out so she doesnst actually need to ask.

9. Lucyab

Lucyab PetForums Newbie

I'm the same as this. We have nailed the routine for Alfie now and he is off to trap 2 of his own free will when the door is open. If it's closed, you kinda just know, because instead of being a happy bouncy puppy, he circles a lot more and goes to the door.

10. Scarlett03

Scarlett03 PetForums Junior

Today I watched my pup cock his leg over my washing basket and I have realised he is also going on the skirting boards. I can take him outside and say go toilet and he goes to I praise him loads. :cursing: How can I stop him???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice