Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training - regression?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PembrokeMadhouse, Jul 19, 2009.

1. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I have been reading all of these threads re puppies weeing everywhere and the like and thought, how the heck do I get round my problem.

If you look at my prior posts, you will see I fostered a puppy - lovely dog bugger to house train, but now she has gone to a new home I realise that my 4 year old collie has regressed and poohs and wees in the house (well just the one particular room of the house).

Do I need to go back to the 20 minute rule with her... I never catch her at it... Obvioulsy she is older, she has never been crated, and it worries me. Okay the particular room is not decorated at the moment and has an easy to clean slate floor, but.... by Christmas this will be my posh room.

So, question is, do I go back to 20 minutes rule or because she is older, can I leave her longer, how can I get her out of the habbit of doing this. She has 4 shorter walks every day but is left for 8 or so hours at night - she doesn't whine or bark to go out. I do try to take her out half hour after she has had dinner, but it doesn't always work!

Help, before I start to go mad!!!

C x

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

maybe she picked it up from the foster and also i bet the slate feels like being ouside to her.

keep her out of the slate room altogether for now if you can.
    she just may remember that carpet is not to be pee'd on.

if you know the signs of her needing to potty i would nip her outside as well just to reinforce her training.

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Yes and don't forget to praise her when she's done it outside. That will teach her its good to do it outside rather than in.

4. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

the room next door hasn't got carpet either -(house is a work in progress) !!! and every barricade I have put up - as there is no door - she has jumped over, will have to block the door totally!

I do praise her of course when outside.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice