UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl pup will be 11 weeks on thursday...
At the breeders she was learning on pee pads but i was told this is a no no so didnt bother but she getting worse and worse. I take her out every hour or if i see her circling, stand there 10 mins and all she does is drink out of paddles or eat things rather then pee or poo and then comes in and does one indoors instead. She in a cage but only when i'm extra busy but only allowed in one room at the moment which is kitchen diner area but feel like i am failing. i say do pee pee and she just not getting it. I am taking her out every hour or if i see her circle. If i put her in cage too much she goes bonkers jumping up and down rattling her cage to death and yapping and howling, so i do only put her in there for sleeping or if i need a rest from her biting and if i am cooking.
In the night she wakes every 2 hours and sometimes refuses to go back and now my work suffering even though work from home..
PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
605 Posts
why are pee pads a nono?

I have always used shaping when it comes to house training. To begin with, its newpaper everywhere and its not cleaned up straight away (so the paper smells like atoilet!!)The paper is gradually reduced and moved nearer the back door. I have been known to put paper outside to assist a pup to recognise that is where wee is done!!

Aswell as this, I make sure I clean up any accidents with bio washing powder solution and highly praise toiletting outside.

It sounds like you are getting wound up over your pup, but she is 11 weeks old...a tiny baby. My JRT was only clean at 6 mth ish. She was a bloomin nightmare and I only cracked it by eventually banning her from the lounge (carpet) for a couple of weeks till she got out the habit of weeing everywhere.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi :)

First off don't tell her off if she toilets inside. Just clean it up in silence. If you see her peeing you can scoop her up and she should stop then put her outside to finish. Give her lots of praise for going outside even though she started inside. Don't forget to praise her everytime she goes outside and occasionally let her sniff around for 5 minutes after she's gone.

You also shouldn't be using the crate for punishment with regards to biting as it will cause her to see the crate as a negative thing which will cause problems and is probably why you're having problems at night. If you're having trouble with nipping read the nipping sticky there's lots of useful info in there.

If you have to shut her in the crate while you're busy make sure she has something to kee her occupied such as a chew or Kong or a toy.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
My girl pup will be 11 weeks on thursday...
At the breeders she was learning on pee pads but i was told this is a no no so didnt bother but she getting worse and worse. I take her out every hour or if i see her circling, stand there 10 mins and all she does is drink out of paddles or eat things rather then pee or poo and then comes in and does one indoors instead. She in a cage but only when i'm extra busy but only allowed in one room at the moment which is kitchen diner area but feel like i am failing. i say do pee pee and she just not getting it. I am taking her out every hour or if i see her circle. If i put her in cage too much she goes bonkers jumping up and down rattling her cage to death and yapping and howling, so i do only put her in there for sleeping or if i need a rest from her biting and if i am cooking.
In the night she wakes every 2 hours and sometimes refuses to go back and now my work suffering even though work from home..
PLEASE HELP.
You only need one or two successes to get it started. Puppy training pads can confuse them as if they have previously only gone indoors on them it can act as a cue that its the right place to do it.

You need to up the frequency that you take her out, try half an hour instead.
Also take her out after drinking eating play and sleeping they usually need to go then. When they are small the dont often realise they need to go or realise too late. Continue to look out for circling scratching and sniffing about and get her out quick. Sometimes it all becomes too tense an afair too. Try taking out a toy to keep her focused and get her running about, with their minds focused elsewhere and the running about too, they often absent mindedly just squat, then you can use the cue word as she starts to go. Used every time as they actually begin to do it they eventually associate the word with going and later once learned you can use it as a toilet cue getting them to toilet on command in a lot of cases. When shes completely finished lots of praise like its the best thing ever and tasty treats. Give her another minute or two and a bit more play then take her in. If you whip them in too quick sometimes they will hang it out too. As said its getting that one or two successes outside that gets you started usually.

If she has an accident dont tell her off, it can make them nervous about going in front of you and more likely to sneak off and do it. Also clean up any accidents with a special pet stain/odour remover any smells left can encourage repeats in the same places.

At night they often cant go through at first. If she is within sight and sound of you then pop her out when she wakes or stirs. If she isnt then just set an alarm once or twice and pop her out. Make sure that you dont turn bright lights on, talk to her or interact with her, it can stimulate them wide awake.
Use a baby night light or a dim table lamp, just pop her out no fuss and say and do nothing, apart from the cue word if she starts and a couple of words of praise and a treat for getting it right.

As long as shes not the type of pup to rip up and ingest fabric, putting an old t shirt or jumper you have worn in their bed can help them settle. Also in the litter pups usually sleep touching or atop of each other, so a large soft toy or a couple of small ones in their bed can help as it mimics a litter mate to cuddle up too. Leaving a radio on a talking station can help turned down low as the sound of voices can soothe them. Sometimes covering the crate with an old blanket or throw can help too leaving just the front open and turned away from a light source. Some pups sleep better in complete darkness, others do better with a baby night light on. Depending what you are doing now try this and see what settles her better. Dont leave bright lights on though as it can stimulate them wide awake. Adaptil dog appeasing pheromone diffusers that eit an artificial version of the pheromone mum emits to calm and soothe pups can help too. If you want to read up more on those
Adaptil - Adaptil

·
Registered
41 Posts
My puppy is 13 weeks old and we used puppy pads which the breeder had already taught him to do. He has never been crate trained.We then moved the pads closer and closer to the door and then eventually outside of the door. Now he does it outside. If we ever caught him starting to wee inside when we moved the pads outside we would just pick him up mid wee and take him outside where he would then finish outside. Then we would quietly clean up any mess with the special odour remover stuff. He seems to be getting the message now! so maybe you could try that.
We too also take him out after he has slept, eaten and played whilst also taking him out about every 45 mins. This seems to work really well. I would take your pup out more often too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.