Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet Training - Please help.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Catherine Brown, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Catherine Brown

Catherine Brown PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have a little mini Dachshund, born on the 9th Feb this year.
    I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to potty train her. The older she gets the worst she gets.
    With just peeing and pooping everywhere.please please please, help.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

What have you been doing to try to toilet train her?

3. Catherine Brown

Hi, I've tried the puppy pads, crate training and just keeping the door open. Even taking her for extended walks after she's eaten but no matter how long I keep her out she will wait until she's back in the house for both pee and poop. She's absolutely fantastic is every other way, but this is driving me insane. I've never had a dog that seems untrainable.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Oh dear, the things you mention actually hinder toilet training. Puppy pads have their place for dogs that can't go out, but for puppies they cause confusion about whether indoor toileting is allowed or not. An open door creates no distinction between where outdoors stops, and indoors starts. And crate training can help in that dogs prefer not to toilet where they sleep but it isn't a solution in itself.

So, first a vet check to make sure it is behavioural and not medical, then back to basics.

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so.

Ideally you want her to not be in a position where she needs to toilet before you have her outdoors, so that every toilet is outside - as far as possible, there will be accidents! So set her up to succeed by taking her out even more than she needs; for example every hour and always after sleeping, eating, playing. When she toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward her with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make her come to you for the treat so she is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that she wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until she is outside.

If you take her out and she doesn't toilet after five minutes, bring her in but don't take your eyes off her. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop her up and get her out fast. If she doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take her out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets. You need the outside toilet to happen SO that you can reward SO that she learns.

If she has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed she may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if she needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at them toileting, as opposed to toileting indoors. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken her outside in time. Not when she is there though in case you scare her. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract her back to the spot. As she is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words she can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when she is reliably trained you can use these to tell her when you want her to toilet.

Indoors if you see her circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get her out fast.

Overnight if she is still toileting, set your alarm to take her out at least once during the night.

puppymadness and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Catherine Brown

There's a good few things you've mentioned that I've already done but you know what. I'll go back to basics and retry things again. Because I'm at a loss, treats haven't worked in the past but I'll defintley retry... And as for night time I get up twice and let her outside... I might add this is the ONLY time that she will go to the toilet outside (which I feel just adds to the weirdness).

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

And when she does 'perform' outside what is your reaction?

7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Small dogs can be slower and dachshunds are notorious.
    I have 2 adult, rehomed mini dachshunds , they both needed re-training when I got them,the first one in particular. They both hate going out in bad weather too,so be warned !
    Back to basis sounds like a good plan .You need to be realy consistent,patient and determined. Also observe her usual toileting pattern / routine. For mine,they will both go out in the garden to poo within 10 minutes of eating breakfast, out again about 11 am for wees followed by a mid-morning snack. Then 30 minutes walk about 4 pm, several wees ( marking ) and usually a poo. Oh takes themfor a quick walk round the block about 9pm when they will both wee and sometimes poo.
    If she was born in February she's 5 months now ? Still pretty young really to be reliable.
    Regular routine will help.

DanWalkersmum and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Catherine Brown

High praise, with a treat in hand.

9. XeniaStarkov

XeniaStarkov PetForums Newbie

It's too little to control this, I guess. When I faced that problem I found the information that puppies might poop at home because of the fear of being eaten by predators. You'd better wait a couple of months.

10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Not many wolves round here !

11. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

Not much to add here but it takes patience and consistency so the pup doesn’t get confused.

My pup is almost 7months and I still make a big deal and praise her when she lets me know she needs to go outside and does her business there. She hasn’t had an accident for ages now but I still make sure I do a potty party just to reinforce that it’s so great she does a wee outside.

I hope it goes well for you!!!

12. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Sorry, I disagree. Toilet training starts on day 1 when a puppy comes home - even earlier if the breeder can do it sooner.

Burrowzig and lullabydream like this.
  13. danielled

danielled Guest

Toilet training starts on day 1 actually. Out of interest where did you hear that load of tosh?

14. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I brought Liam home at 8 weeks old it was November and pooring with rain,winds and freezing cold:(
    He would be taken outside on waking and told wee wee when he went to the toilet there was loads of praise given he was then given his 1st meal of the day and then back outside I would take him outside after a sleep after he had a drink and after meals I also took him outside every hour while he was awake Liam was toilet trained day and night by just over 11 weeks old I can remember posting on here that he wasn't having any accidents in the house and was warned to expect some accidents which I was expecting to happen but he hasn't to date he is now 10 months old:)
    It was worth while standing in the garden freezing cold and getting soaking wet,if you are willing to put the time in your pup will get it but always give loads of praise when she does go to the toilet and fair play to Liam he still goes to the toilet when told to wee wee:)

DanWalkersmum and danielled like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice