Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training - outdoors

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Puppy Love, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Puppy Love

Puppy Love PetForums Senior

Hi everyone,

I have a 10 wk old Red Setter who is just adorable, and being our first puppy, we are not so good on the does and don't of toilet training business. She is having her first injection tomorrow so not able to go for walks, only around our garden. When she indicates that she wants to wee or poo (circuling) we have been scooping her up and taking her outside, but when she come back in she then wees on the floor. Its as if she kind of forgets what she was doing in the first place. She is still yet to do anything outside which is what we are waiting for so we can really praise her. Even first thing in the morning when we know she is needing to "go" and is taken outside she still does nothing then on return into the house she deposits on the floor. I have had to put newpaper covered with an old towel down or she would probably do it everywhere. We are just not sure if we are doing it correct or are we just expecting such a little one to be at this stage. Any suggestions?? One of my friends did say just this morning to try putting one of the soiled towels outside for her to smell herself so I think I will try this also - hopefully it will stop raining.

Any help will be greatly appreciated - just to help her and us do it correctly.
    Bye for now

2. garryd

garryd Guest

i hate toilet training !goodluck

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,
    You'll need lots of patience,a puppy doesn't have any control over there bladder until they are around 6 months old.
    You are doing the right thing by taking your pup out,stay out there with her until she performs,however long it may take,reward with lots of praise & a high value treat such as cheese,chicken etc......

Maybe link a word such as Be a "clean" Girl whilst she is performing,so she assoicates the two together,personally I never use paper as I think it tends to take puppies longer as you are giving the signal it's ok to go indoors.

When she Toilets Indoors,simply pick her up put her outside,don't say anything to her,Ignore what she has done & clean the area with Biological washing powder to get rid of the smell.

Young pups need to go out every hour,after meal times,playtimes,sleep etc....
    You will get there it just takes time & patience.
    Good Luck!

4. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

I agree with Sally with this one - only my key word is "Quick" over and over until they do something then "good girl" after shes done it - I still say it now and my pup is 4 and a half months - and still say it to the adults too LOL It makes them go - :)

5. Puppy Love

Thanks Sallyanne & Debbie
    So do you think I should take up the old towel completely and just clean up the area after she has gone?? I feel cruel taking her out all the time in the poring rain, her little (long) legs shake, in the morning especially she just wants to get back indoors........oh these little darlings do try us.

Thanks for the info
    Best regards

6. Puppy Love

Oh and thanks garryd - I will keep trying!!!!

Bye for now

7. garryd

garryd Guest

i wasnt being sarky , i realy feal for what your going through thats all ,as i have 4 dogs and that puppy stage is not all its cracked up to be is it ! they wee here ther and everywhere and when you finnally think you have gotten it right "BANG YOU STEP IN A PUDDLE OF WEE":(

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I would,your not cruel,it's just part of the training process.Don't say anything just clean up the area.

I used to stand out in the garden at 2am in my PJ's lol,My two hate the rain.

9. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I agree with Sallyanne, you really need to be out there with your pup for as long as it takes, Irish Setters don't really do "weather", mind you if I was that slim I don't know if I would either.
    Don't get too hung up or worried about it though, she will house train, some dogs just take a little longer than others to "cotton on" to what is expected. She may never have toiletted outside prior to coming to you, she probably just doesn't know where to go

10. bordercolliepup

bordercolliepup PetForums Senior

I used to go out to the garden as often as I could take pepsi outside with me , and also after every time she had her food I would let her outside , if she messed I would just pick her up take her out and just say to her go pee pee , .
    Thats the best way take them outside and clean up.
    My word to pepsi was always peepee , it took her a while , but when she got the idea she loved the attention she got afterwards and had me up to the door ever 10mins

She's 9 now and I still open the door to the garden and say go peepee its funny how we don't drop silly habits.
    Happy training :)

11. Puppy Love

Thanks for all the help

Tilly was in a litter of 13 and they where all born in a very large bedroom - all very well cared for but they didn't get to go outside with their mummy so did not get to do as she does when she needed a wee.

I guess its going to take a while, at least she has been really great during the night (sleeps rights through)

Bye for now

12. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,
    At least that something if she's going though the night,I used to hate standing outside at 2am in the morning in the pouring rain.

It does take time & patience but you will get there with her.
    Some Pics would be great! :)

13. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

She will learn and you just have to get a huge coat and gloves on for the time you may have to stand out in this horrid weather - waiting and waiting but she will cotton on - once she realises that she wont be let in until shes had a tinkle etc.....Good luck :)
    Oh and yes take the towel up and just clean up without saying anything - b'cos lets face it pups are just children with a fur coat so any attention is better than none - so only good attention when shes done what you want her to :) Maybe a treat too......although this could make a rod for your own back in that she will expect a treat everytime she goes for years and years LOL

14. Puppy Love

Hello
    Just to let you know Tilly had her first wee in the garden this morning, so she has lots of praise, but sadly every other time today she has been taken out (one time she was out in the rain and was shaking with cold - bless her) she does nothing then deposits in the house......aahhh its tough but we will get there.

Oh and by the way I have taken up the old towels off the floor and she now wees wherever she likes, I just clean up with a spray bottle containing biological washing powder and it gets rid of the smell.

Bye for now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice