Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training nightmare - help needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Judith, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Judith

Judith PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I've joined this forum as I need help to toilet train my 2 standard daschund puppies. I've had dogs all my life and they are by far the WORST puppies I have encountered with this issue. They are now 9 months old and still haven't got a clue...I've followed all advice and always thought I had some knowledge of training until now! They go out first thing in the morning, at regular intervals, after meals etc. perform in the garden, all's well until a puddle or worse is discovered in the house (and I don't tell them off, unless caught in the act). The problem is that they never ask to go out; sometimes they even use the house as their loo, despite back door open. I have to keep them in the kitchen with me and cannot trust them in the house. Everybody is pretty fed with this and it's such a shame because they are really nice dogs, very affectionate and sweet and makes us all laugh.

Any ideas? we also have 2 other older dogs with no problems (so far ...)

Many thanks

Judith :(

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Have you tried crate training them?

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Sorry cant help! just wanted to say I know where you are coming from, I have a mini daschund cross who at 10months still isnt properly house trained. She is frustrating though coz she will be fine for 1-2weeks then randomly spend all day weeing in the house!! Just when you think they've learned they go and ruin it!!
    I had heard that daschunds are one of the worse dogs to house train.
    Hannah also gives no sign that she wants to go leaving you to just guess, I think it must be a doxie trait..:rolleyes:

4. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

I know how you feel, my ten month old border collie is EXACTLY the same, he wont ask to go out and even when the door is open he comes in and toilets and the second he thinks ive gone out he will go, i have had some success with crating, he did used to cock his leg through the bars or before he learned to cock he would wee and simply lie in it.

he dosnt go in his crate now but the rest of the time is a nightmare, ive now declared he is to be my final dog i really coudlnt cope with another like it so i feel for you having two, although my other three clean dogs have started to copy him now :(

Its so frustrating and our house is like a jail with all the baby gates but my son or i usually do end up forgetting about one sometimes and voila, poop and piddle everywhere it really gets you down dosnt it, your not alone.

5. BunBon

BunBon PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My beagle was exactly the same - we were consistent and patient, read loads of house training articles and tried to follow all the advice we were given, but we were also still having accidents in the house at 10 months, like you we can leave one of the doors to the garden open and he would still go inside. We cracked it eventually by following a timed schedule, this seemed to work well for him, but it took a long time and was a lot of hard work. Here is a link to an article that has a timed schedule in it - its a bit long but scroll down to the bottom for it: toilet training

Even now he is three he will not bark when he needs to go out - he will sit and stare at the door, or gently paw it, not much good if you are in the other room! Good luck, its not much fun to still be cleaning up mess month after month.

6. whitebloodcells

whitebloodcells PetForums Junior

I posted on here about my pup and flubberdub suggested trying a spray from pets at home..so I thought it was worth a try and it is FANTASTIC!! Its working like a dream, haa thanks flubberdub :)
    I would definatly recommend it - we got 2 for £7 its called 'get off' and you just spray it on the floor - its like magic and works wonders!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice