Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training my shihtzu

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jem29, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Nessa is 11 weeks, she is such a sweetie, like having a little baby though.

She cries if we leave her alone at night, whimpers for about an hour then settles, but wakes by 5am whimpering, grrrrrrrrr! What to do??:rolleyes:

Then there is toilet training, was easy with the borders, we just let them outside every half hour then they got the jist. Nessa though refuses to go outside, if we carry her out she just sits there and waits until we let her back in, lol! She will wee on a pieces of newspaper, but on occasions she wee's wherever she is, the same with her number 2's. It just depends if she feels like walking over to her paper;)

How can I tackle this little madam?:p

2. rona

rona Guest

Have you tried moving some of the soiled paper into the garden?
    Also if she is managing all night until 5am at her age, then I think you are very lucky

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are you just shutting her outside?

If so, you really should be go out with her, encouraging her to go, and praising her when she does.

She needs to be taught that outside is the place to go, and wont know this unless you teach her. If you are putting paper dopwn, you are training her that inside is ok for peeing and pooing.

Are you getting up during the night to let her out? Her cries could be because she needs to go, and doesnt want to mess in her bed, which is extremely distressing to a pup. Many people get up at around 2-3am for a toileting session.

4. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

We used to crate our puppies and they went all night without messing theirs beds where as Nessa will make a mess then cry and cry, maybe she cries just after it, I am not sure.

Yes we stand outside with her.

I shall be getting hubby to take her for a wee in the night from now on, I have swine flu so am bed ridden at the moment so it can be his job;)

Thank you:D

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Some dogs are easier to train than others.

Some of the toy/small breeds seem to be notorious for being hard to toilet train.

6. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

I have a 19 week old shih-tzu and he has been relatively easy to toilet train.

I too tried the paper and while he'd go on it, i found it difficult to teach him 'trigger' words so i took him outside hourly and for a pee, i'd say 'hurry up' as he was actually having one followed by lots of praise and 'quickly' as he was having a poop. He will now do this on command :D and we have no accidents in the house now.

I crate him at night, he has settled and slept from 10pm til 8am since he was 10 weeks old though if he needs a toilet, he will bark so i can let him outside (this has onl happened twice).

I hope things get better for you soon ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice