Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training my puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by merlin39, Jun 7, 2010.

1. merlin39

merlin39 PetForums Member

Hello all, i'm new to this forum and to puppyhood and would appreciate some advice! i have a 9 1/2 week old puppy who is lovely in every way but toilet training is causing us a headache! he is very good during the day as we take him out regulally on to the yard to his spesific area where he has some training pads to encourige him to go and we use 'be quick' as our prompt word which in 99% of times results in him going. he has a crate which he goes in durign the day when he sleeps and he now seems happy to spend up to 1.5hrs in there. we are always around so when he sits up quietly we let him out and take his straight to the loo. we also have a baby gate on the lounge door so he is confined there during the day and only let out for the loo and subsiquent playtime.
    We think we are doing everything right but yesterday we moved the baby gate to the bottom of the stairs and had we had a few accidents over the day in the kitchen, we are not sure why we were still taking him out??
    our pressing concern is at night, we have been getting up at 2/3 to take him out but he just curls up on his mats and wants to go back to sleep. we don't shut him in his crate at night as we were told not to but every morning we wake up to alot of poop (we put 2 training mats down in the lounge over night they are clean at 2/3 but soiled by 6) ultimatly we want him to sleep in his crate, when can we start shutting him in it at night? will it make him more likely to go when we come down? we don't want him to soil in his crate poor thing!
    would appreciate some advice!
    thanks
    Merlin

2. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I have a 12 week old pup who is crated at night .. the door shut - the cage is a small ish one - I get up at 3am and let him out for wees (not attention nothing, just "Ozzy toilet", once he's done a wee and if I'm lucky a poo we go back into the cage and to bed ... He then is let out at 7 for a walk and so far, touch wood he is dry over night with this routine.

The day time is more difficult as I work funny shifts - today 11-5 ... We have lots of accidents but I don't have him in the cage during the day unless he wants to go in there, and unless I am out at work - today he will be in there for 4 hours so I hope he will be okay.

On the advice of most people here I have dispensed with pads and paper training and just take him out regularly and hope, and when he does it right he gets lots of praise and when he doesn't I just don't say anything but clean it up - biological washing powder is good for getting rid of the smell.

IT is just perseverance - it will take time .... Also my last feed is 6.00 and by about 10.00 he has done a poo *somewhere* !!! So we last over night.

What are you feeding him, and when ... perhaps you need to adjust the food intake slightly ...

It will come, keep going ... all my friends are commenting how tired I look ... they don't know I'm up at 3am every night!!!!!

C x

3. merlin39

merlin39 PetForums Member

Thanks for your advice! we feed him at 7am, 12.30 and 5pm yet he still goes alot early morning, i'm wondering if crating him will encourige him to 'hold on' until we come down? maybe we need to come down later like 4am? i'll never get back off then tho having to be up at 6!!!
    he is v good during the day as long as we take him out regulally! we give him loads of praise and a treat everytime he goes outside and just clean up daytime accidents quietly! maybe we will try crating him tonight! i think he will cry tho!!!
    Merlin

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I don't know who told you not to shut the crate door, but it is safe to do so ... in fact IMO safer all round. Provided the crate is only just big enough for puppy to lay in and go to sleep you shouldn't have any accidents in there. Plus a lot easier to iron out the last couple of hurdles :)

I'm glad you use the command with results BTW :D it will pay dividends in the future!

5. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

Definitely! Crate training is the best. At 6 months old, Monty is happy in his crate overnight for 8 hours with no accidents. It was a godsend for toilet training!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice