Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training my pup?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by luvMyCats, Oct 23, 2012.

1. luvMyCats

luvMyCats PetForums Newbie

Hi, My pup is 7 1/2 wks i have newspaper down in the kitchen were when she is bound to the kitchen she does her wee's on the floor in there, when im at home shes has the run of the kitchen and lounge .. but when she needs a piddle she will just do it on the rug .. any tips on how i can get her to know that atm the kitchen is were she does it ? id love to be able to crack this on the head already and her be toilet trained ... i do have a litter tray in the kitchen also that has news paper in it but me hoping that would have been easierly accomplished was a no brainer lol... any tips on toilet training would be great . thankyou x

2. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

How come your not toilet training to go outside ? Training her to go in the kitchen is going to cause alot of confusion, also she will assume she can just do it in the house. Doing it this way is going to be very difficult as she will not know the difference between the kitchen and rest of house and you will have issues when you want her to go outside.

You should be taking her outside to the toilet after sleeping, eating, drinking, playing. These are the times when they are most likely to need the toilet.

Use a word when she does toilet and praise and treat.

7 & half weeks is very early for a pup to even be away from its mother IMO, therefore dont expect too much, accidents are going to happen as their bladders are so small and weak.

3. koolchick

koolchick PetForums Senior

Why are you trying to train your pup to toilet in the kitchen and not outside? You will need to train the pup twice that way rather than just once.

I normally praise them for going toilet outside and if they do inside pick them up and say no and put them outside.

4. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Start with a routine like this:
    morning - get up and straight outside with puppy to wee, and praise when she goes.
    then let her out about every two hours, usually after she's been fed, played with and sleeping.
    Last thing at night - let her out for another wee, then leave her in the kitchen with paper down in case she has to go during the night.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Ive found the best way is not to have paper or training pads personally, it just confuses them and acts as a cue that inside is the acceptable place to do it.

Although a lot of work initially Ive found the following way pays off.
    I take mine out every 30/45 minutes and also after drinking eating playing and sleeping as they usually need to go then too. When they start to go, use a word of your choice, used every time they eventually associate the word with toileting so later once learned you can use it as a toilet command getting them to go on command in a lot of cases. When they have completely finished then lots of praise and treats to re-enforce thats the correct place.

If they have an accident dont tell them off it can make them nervous about going infront of you and more likely to sneak off and do it. Also any accidents clean up with a special pet odour/stain remover as any smells left can encourage repeats in the same places otherwise.

Look out for circling, sniffing and scratching at the floor thats often a sign that they are looking for somewhere to go so get them out quick. You dont sometimes see this until later on though as when small they dont always recognise the need to go or realise too late.

Shes probably too young to go through the night at the moment too? At first their bladders are too small to hold much in the way of large capacities so they need to go often, with a small digestive tract too and 4 meals they need to defeacate more toonwhen really small. I used to have mine within sight and sound of me at night so if they woke I used to pop them out. No bright lights or fuss or interaction as it can stimulate them wide awake, I just popped mine out usually they did need to go, just the cue word when they start, a couple of words of praise and a treat and back to bed. If they are not within sight and sound then some people set an alarm once or twice and pop them out that way. I found that the night toileting soon got less and less in frequency and they were soon going right through until early morning. It is quite a lot of work and intense this way at first, but Ive found it is the quickest too as by consistently being taken and given every opportunity to only do it outside they soon learn this way.

#5 Sled dog hotel, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

For advice from qualified, reputable trainers and behaviourists, look here:

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/housetrainingyourpuppy.pdf
    ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Housetraining Your Puppy
    http://www.apdt.co.uk/documents/Toilettraining_000.pdf
    How to Potty Train Your Puppy the Clicker Way | Karen Pryor Clicker Training
    Housetraining Basics | Karen Pryor Clicker Training
    How to Train Your Puppy to Ring a Bell to Potty | Karen Pryor Clicker Training
    http://www.cleverdogcompany.com/tl_files/factsheets/House training.pdf
    http://www.ukrcb.org/fileitems/Toilet Training Your Pup.doc

DVD

House training - Your Clever Dog DVD Pack

House training should be easy, quick and stress-free! If your puppy or older dog hasn’t yet got the hang of being clean in the house, or if you are just starting out on house training your puppy, this is the DVD for you.

Using kind, fair and effective methods, Sarah shows you how to house train your puppy to achieve great results in the fastest possible time.

Using an indoor pen or crate is a sanity-saver for most puppy owners. In this DVD, Sarah will show you how to train your puppy or dog to happily regard the crate as a comfy bed – to go in without a struggle and even to open the door himself!

Including:
    • Get the basics of house training sorted in one weekend!
    • What to do if your puppy messes in the house
    • Why punishment doesn’t work
    • What to do if your puppy won’t go to the toilet outside of your garden

The pack contains: A clicker, house line, training manual, instructional DVD: 55 mins approx running time including Bonus trick, Bonus Training Session, Intro to Clicker Training, Q & A with Sarah.

Dogtrain.co.uk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice