Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet Training Issue

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by shell1404, Jan 2, 2012.

1. shell1404

shell1404 PetForums Newbie

Hello im an experienced dog owner who is now baffled by our newest member of the family, a springer spaniel whos coming upto 6 months old (castrated). We rehomed him from someone else when he was 17wks old who wasnt really willing to give us any reason for rehoming other than there too busy for him, when we picked him up there was a cage present and the puppy was very submissive (and still is around strangers). Myself and my fiance (who is a vet nurse) have always had dogs and have always toilet trained them easily but we are failing miserably with this dog. Weve constantly praised/treated him when he does his business outside, weve never punished him when he does his business inside, we wash our floors with bio washing powder to get rid of urine smells, we know its not because of separation anxiety as he will wee/poo when were in the same room as him, hes settled into our home and come out of his shell so we know its also not because he is submissive, we have a 2yr old labrador who is now ruled by the puppy so we know its not fear of him (the labs a dope) we are just really at our whits end with this problem and we have seemed to covered every thing we can. Im absolutely fed up of my house stinking because of it, he even wees on his blankets and will happily lie in it!

If anyone else has had a similar problem and has overcome it please let me know your magic! Hes a lovely little dog apart from this and is really clever this is why were so confused by him.

Thanks

:)

2. Catz1

Catz1 PetForums VIP

Have you had him checked at the vets for a UTI? I'd get him checked for any infections if he's extra difficult to house train. :)

3. shell1404

shell1404 PetForums Newbie

Hello...yes there is nothing medically wrong with him as I said my fiance is a vet nurse, hes not just urinating indoors hes also pooing. This morning I got up to a clean house so I was over the moon then 2 minutes later after just being praised for weeing outside he done 3 poos indoors :l

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'd go back to basics - take him out on a lead (so it's not play-time) every 30-45 minutes and praise and treat like crazy when he goes (which I know you say you have been doing). If he isn't holding overnight then you need to set your alarm for every few hours and take him out, gradually increasing time between alarms.

If there's nothing medically wrong with him then this really is the only way to do it, and be patient - I know how frustrating it is as my pup was very slow to toilet train too (although she did suffer from UTIs).

Good luck :)

5. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

one thing - everyone says to ignore indoor accidents, and I agree, BUT if he's going right in front of you, interrupt (even if you have to pick him up) and give him the chance to finish what he started outside - and praise if he does. A half success is better than nothing.

I also think being interrupted makes the indoor toileting not as satisfying as the outdoor toileting, where they can go in peace and get a treat too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice