Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet Training Help needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Camsie84, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Camsie84

Camsie84 PetForums Member

Hi there

I hope that someone here can give me some advice. I have a year old German Spitz boy who I rescued about 5 months ago. He is a really good boy, but I'm having a problem with his toilet training.

he is perfect at home, and anywhere that is "dog free" - but he comes to work with me everyday, and we have about 6 other dogs in the office. Obviously the floor smells like a loo to him, and I just can't seem to teach him that he can't pee there.

I take him outside every couple of hours (more than he needs at home) and he goes, but he's still peeing in the office.

How do I get the message through? Any tips and advice hugely appreciated.

Thanks
    Sarah

2. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

It could just be that he's marking if theres other dogs in the office.
    Its their way of communicating. I would just give him a firm 'no' each time you catch him doing it and take him straight outside.

3. raymitchell

raymitchell PetForums Newbie

firm no liek he said and maybe making it so he cant see the other dogs and just using commands , and if he stops mid way reward him, as has been said probaly is marking or jus worried about other dogs

#3 raymitchell, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  4. jackson

jackson PetForums VIP

Do you mean a rattle bottle when you say 'bottle and bolts'? If so, I would absolutely NOT reccomend that, it may do far more harm than good, and even if it does stop him weeing, it won't help whatever the reasonf ro his behaviour is, so you may simply have a still unhappy dog that doesn't wee in your office.

The simplest thing would probably be to try crating him at work initially. He is less likely to toilet in a crate, plus, if you cover the top with a blanket or towel, it will make him feel safe too.

5. raymitchell

no single persons dog trainign is right for any dog , i admit i didnt add the normal warning about the rattle bottle in this case , rattle bottle can be very effective , but also can cause problems ,
    for example :

dog may become agressive or scared of the bottle ( thats why i say hide the bottle )

6. raymitchell

i have rectracted my statment on the rattle bottle

7. jackson

jackson PetForums VIP

I'll start anbother thread, so as not to hijack this one. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice