Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet Training - Heeelp!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by TAN35, Mar 27, 2019.

1. TAN35

TAN35 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

I have owned a miniature schnauzer for 3 1/2 years - we had him from 12 weeks and he was toilet trained within 3 days. I followed the advise, and boom, it was easy! A few days ago, we adopted a second dog to join our family, a beautiful Havanese from a rescue shelter - he is 10 months old and has already lived in an illegal puppy mill, a hoarder's house and then the shelter, all three places where he could just go to the toilet all over the floor. I knew it would be much harder than the first dog, but could really do with more advice!

So - we've been trying to follow the advice of taking him out to the garden regularly, putting him in the same spot, but there's an added complication - he is extremely nervous and hates being touched or picked up. We've made massive progress in that now he's leaving his crate and sitting or sleeping at my feet, and has even occasionally let me rub his tummy, but whenever he starts weeing, I pick him up to take him outside and I know he hates it. Once in the garden, he won't wee, and runs back inside. If I close the door, he hunches against the garden wall absolutely frozen in terror. I don't want to teach him that the garden is a scary place, or undo any of the bonding with him by making him scared to pee in front of me... any tips or ideas on toilet training a very nervous rescue dog? Thank you!

One more thing is that although he has free run of the house, he only goes back to wee on the puppy pads in his crate. Which is something, I guess, but how do I teach him to ask to go outside? Thank you!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Honestly? I would let him settle before you start thinking about this. He has had a rough start, let him get used to you, trust you, find his feet. If he is using pads in the crate, it's not too bad for now - he feels secure in there and you don't want to damage your relationship at this stage by carrying him out if he doesn't like it.

In a few days, or when he is going out for walks with you and your other dog, when he toilets outside make a huge fuss and reward him really generously.

kimthecat and margy like this.
  3. TAN35

TAN35 PetForums Newbie

Thanks, Joanne! That actually makes sense. I'll try that - hopefully he won't think that room or space is the place to always go! Thank you. Any other advice for when we start trying again is very welcome too!

4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

well done for adopting this pup.
    You've made good progress in a few days .
    I adopted a chi that wasnt house trained so I understands what its like. Im grateful she does small wees.
    Im going to say dont pick him up when he wees. Not very hygenic but you wont make much progress while he is so terrified. You dont want him to be scared of you .

A couple of books for owners with fearful dogs.

From Fearful to Fear free by Mary becker

Inspiring Resilience in Fearful and Reactive Dogs by Sally Gutteridge

JoanneF likes this.
  5. TAN35

TAN35 PetForums Newbie

oh wow, thanks so much for the book reccommendations! He;s bigger than a Chihuahua but actually his wees aren't that much so I think this is great advice to follow. Thank you!

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice