Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

toilet training going backwards.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by meganbeth, Nov 24, 2012.

1. meganbeth

meganbeth PetForums Newbie

I dont know if anyone has had a similar experience. I have a nine month old rescue bitch. She has lived in kennels all her life until I got her 8 weeks ago so I was prepared for house training initially. Her first few days she was perfect but then started soiling inside. I solved the problem by giving her a treat and lots of praise when she went outside and we have until two days ago had a good four weeks of no peeing in the house. Suddenly she has started again for no apparent reason. The first one I put down to the fact that maybe because she had been so good I had stopped taking her out as often forgetting she was still so young. But since the first accident we have now had several over the past two days. Im cleaning up with a special urine elimination spray. Today she was outside with me for a good twenty mins and an hour later I found a puddle. She was spayed five weeks ago so it cant be anything to do with her coming into season. Advise appreciated.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Sometimes they can have relapses its not uncommon, usually going back to complete basics and frequently reminding them, taking them out, using the cue word everytime they start to eventually teach a toilet command once they have associated the word with going, and then the praise and treats. Also taking them out too after drinking, eating, play and sleeping too usually works plus the watching for circling, sniffing and scratching at the floor which is often a sign that they are looking to go, usually sorts it out.

Only other explanation especially if she is going more frequently and peeing more in quantity then she was is that she may have a urinary tract infection.
    They often get short and lose control with these, often its just a simple bacterial infection and a course of antibiotic sorts it out. So if she is peeing more in quantity and frequency would be worth getting her checked over and taking a urine sample to be tested.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice