Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

toilet training going backwards - help!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by xxxannxx, Jul 6, 2009.

1. xxxannxx

xxxannxx PetForums Newbie

My puppy is a 14wk old yorkie x jack russell, and I have had him from 8wks. Up until the last few days his toilet-training was going really well, he would go outside for all his poo's during day and most of his pee's (although there still was a few accidents), and at night if needed to go, he went on newspaper in kitchen, all of which I was very happy with. However, during the last few days, he has started poo'ing in the house again. Just tonight I spent 20mins outside with him after his feed, only to find he had went in house when I was putting bin out!!! Has anyone else had this problem, and have any tips??? I really thought the hardest part of toilet-training had been done!!!

2. Staceybob

Staceybob PetForums Member

Unfortunately toilet training can take months before you have it perfectly together. It just takes time. Keep at it and it will work.

You wouldn't expect a baby to come out of it's nappies at 14 weeks old right? Give it time.

Stacey xxx

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have read that a dog will not be 100% toilet trained until it is at least 1.

Is he crate trained? Try adjusting your routine a bit to fit in more toilet breaks, and have him somewhere secure ie pen or crate when you cant have 100% of your attention on him.

The quickest way to get him back to the level of toilet training he was at before is just to take him out more, even if he does nothing, its far better to take him out too many times than miss one and he has an accident :)

x

4. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Your pup is still a baby. You are expecting too much from a 14 week old puppy. He won't get the grasp of toilet training properly till he's 5-6 months old! Give him time and be patient.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice