Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training frustration

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mcmcslp, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mcmcslp

mcmcslp PetForums Newbie

Hi,

We have had our puppy home since Sunday and everything is going great, except the toilet training. Border collie, 10 weeks old. I know we are not the first or last with this!

She is fed at 6am, 10am, 2pm and 6pm. I take her out first thing as soon as we wake up, and then every quarter-past the hour.

She pees fine - as soon as we get to the designated spot she pees, and gets lots of praise, our phrase (be quick), and a short play afterwards.

I will then wait for another 5-10 minutes for her to pooh, but it doesn't happy very frequently. Occasionally she is fine and goes within minutes, other times, it just doesn't happen. Then I bring her back inside and try again 5 mins later. If she does go, same thing, she gets the key phrase (different to pee, obviously), praise, and a short play.

Her pooh times are very infrequent, and there doesn't seem to be a sequence (she's done it within 5 mins of eating, and then not at all 4 hours after her evening feed, as examples of the extremes). Most days she has been fine, but for 3 of the last 4 nights she has not gone after her 6pm feed, but did go inside in the kitchen not long after we'd gone to bed. At 12:15pm (midnight, sticking with the schedule!), I come down to take her out, and repeat at 3:15pm. She's been fine except for the initial pooh within minutes of the lights going out. Her poohing during the day had been normal each day.

Wednesday night was the exception; it took four goes of going out before she finally went, then I took her out again at midnight, and she was then fine from midnight until 6am.

In all other respects she is fine, she's eating and drinking fine (recommended amounts, using the same food as the breeder, spread over the four meals, and it all goes in just a couple of minutes), she gets plenty of exercise (and it takes a *lot* to tire her out, especially since we are not walking yet until her final vaccination in 3 weeks), loads of praise when she does things right, and she is fine being left alone for 45 mins of play (or more of sleep) without any complaints or anxiety. We have 10-30 mins of play and/or training every 2-3 hours, depending on how long she takes to tire and then sleeps (she is already happy with a number of commands), with the remaining 90 mins or slightly more with her flat out sleeping. I don't wake her to go out when she is sleeping, but just wait until the next quarter-past-the-hour to take her out again to stay on the schedule.

I *think* part of the problem is that outside is exciting and she gets easily distracted. There are, afterall, so many things in the grass, the shrubs, the leaves, etc that are interesting and exciting for a puppy. After a while of waiting for her to pooh (she will have peed straight away), she'll either start playing up, or she will lie down on the grass flat and occasionally chew it.

Everything I've read says I'm doing the right things, but it is very frustrating not to see some sign of regularity.

Any advice/tips, or anything I'm missing?

2. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Is she pooing inside then?

3. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

I think you just need to relax a bit if you dont mind me saying.

You have had a puppy for a week, it's very early days and not long for pups routine to get established. There will inevitably be times when you want her to poo or wee and she doesn't, there will inevitably be times when there are accidents in the house.

The routine I had was I put Bobby on puppy pads (he started using them at the breeders) as soon as he woke, as soon as our playtime ended, right after food, and then more or less every hour or two during the day too.

Sometimes I would stand there and he would do nothing, othert times it would go fine, just as I wanted, but with a little time and patience it all sorted out in the end.

By the sound of it your pup is doing well, so it is just a matter of time.

4. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Your pup is still very young ours is 14 weeks and still has accidents in the house , hopefully she will get the idea soon.

5. mcmcslp

mcmcslp PetForums Newbie

Thanks ploddingon - that is what I expected, but it's my first pup and I want to be sure :)

I will keep at it...

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

It sounds as if you're doing all the right things and she's doing really well. If the food she is on is decent stuff, she won't need to poo anywhere near as often as she needs to wee anyway.

Just make sure that when you say your "toilet words", you say them WHILE she's weeing/pooing - if you stand there repeating her poo word when she doesn't need to go, it will lose meaning.

7. mcmcslp

mcmcslp PetForums Newbie

Thanks Colliepoodle

Yes, we occasionally have mistakes inside - the pooh problems last thing at night the most frustrating, just because we give her plenty of chances.

And yes, on the word, only when she starts, I try and be silent until then to reduce the distraction.

Patience and perseverance :)

8. mcmcslp

mcmcslp PetForums Newbie

BTW, while I am here, any advice on getting her to stop putting her nose into everything?

She chews leaves, twigs, stones, feathers, most of which I remove if she manages to get them. To stop her I'm using 'No' and holding the lead (not jerking it), so that she can't reach what she is trying to get to.

9. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Ozzy still poos and wees everywhere inside and out! He's 16 weeks! seems to have no idea at all!

Great over night in his crate though so that's a blessing x C x

10. tosca

tosca PetForums Member

Try to relax and enjoy your puppy, she is just a baby, and an excitable, intelligent breed who will be into everything. I think you and her are doing really well. Our 10 month old was still having accidents up to a month ago, and for no reason too. She also gets her chops around everything....especially the garden at the moment. She is very intelligent too, though OH begs to differ!

You're doing fine!:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice