Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training becoming a pain.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by NathanbUK, Aug 6, 2009.

1. NathanbUK

NathanbUK PetForums Junior

Right so my rougly 9 week old chihuahua pup ( been with us 3 days) seems to think the entire house apart from were we want her to is the place to wee. Whatever we do she just wees after we think well get nothing out of her. She sleeps in her crate and lets us know she wants a wee buts that's as far as we get as soon as she's on the floor she wees were she wants. We've had her outside in the garden... Nothing. We put her on paper to wee .... Nothing until she off it. What am I doing wrong, I really need help as it's so imortant. Thankss.

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

The best thing you can do is get rid of the paper and don't encourage her to wee on paper at all as it is sending her the message that it's okay to let her wee inside sometimes. What you should do is take her outside and stay with her until she performs after every sleep, meal time, play - as often as you can and when she does it give her loads and loads of praise. I know how frustrating it is because we have a puppy and some days she is brilliant and does nothing in the house and even asks to go out and other days she will just do it on the carpet.

Your pup is still very young though and housetraining may take a while - I think it does in smaller breeds. Don't shout at her if she does go inside though, just clean it up and say nothing.

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

She has only been with for 3 days! She is still adjusting to all these new things.
    Take her outside as much as possible. Even every 10/15 mins if you can do it. If she wee's/poo's inside don't tell her off simply distract her to another room and clear up the mess with a decent pet cleaner. If you do tell her off she will end with an anxiety about toileting.

Toilet training is hard at the best of times! But is worth it in the end.

Good luck!

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Forgot to mention - clean up any mess with a solution of Daz or Surf or any other biological soap powder in hot water. :)

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi, after she wakes up she WILL need to pee. Stay in the garden until she goes. It might take hours but its the quickest way :)

The rule I always stick to with toilet training is; take them out very frequently! As it is far better (easier and quicker) to go out more often than perhaps needed, than to slip up and have an accident.

The best times to make sure she goes outside are, immediately after eating, playing (and other exitement like family member coming home, visitor ect) and 10 -20 mins after eating and drinking.

As others have said the paper is more likely to confuse her, it is much better to just get rid of the paper and take her outised :)

x

davehyde likes this.
  6. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

The only time I've put paper down is at night, it does confuse them if you try to train them to use paper indoors and then try to get them to go outdoors too.

I've got to say, it's so much easier with 2nd, 3rd and 4th dogs lol. The only dog I had to train was the first, the rest just followed him and were all trained and even going through the night within 2 weeks :D

7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

reps.

another thing to remember is pups only have a tiny bladder and until thry are older they cant hold it in very well.

every 20 mins or so out side, pee, praise.

even through the night like a baby too lol. it's a dogs life aint it .:D

edit. not every 20 mins through night lol, are you using a crate? that will make it easier.

8. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

I agree with all of this.....:thumbup1:

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

She's 9 weeks!! dont get dispondent she's a baby and to be honest i wouldnt expect any more from a pup this age ime sure you are doing the right thing other than the paper training we were told when we got our first 10 yrs ago to do the paper thing and he got the hang in no time, then you change what you want from them we put him outside then, but he would run back inside and wee in the kitchen look up for his treat and praise Bless him, as thats what he thought we wanted him to do, we put him into total confusion.

So stick to the 20min rule other than after play, feed and sleep and then put her straight out. Some get the hang quicker than others so be patient, praise her for going outside and ignore the weeing indoors just pick her up and put her out even if she has done a full wee, its the assosiation with weeing and going out doors.

10. Dundee

Dundee Banned

You've already had some good advice, but just wanted to say she's only 9 weeks, not only does she have to be mature enough to control her bladder (and 9 weeks is still early for this), but she has to associate the sensations with wanting to go and then to go outside.

You've only had her 3 days! would you expect a baby to be out of nappies and using the toilet in three days! Be patient, it will happen, how long depends on how much effort you put in and also the individual puppy/dog as they are all different, but you will get there if you persevere.

11. NathanbUK

Hi, thanks so much for all the info, when I'm takig her out regularly how long should I take her out for???

12. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I took mine out every hour PLUS every time they woke, finished eating, stopped playing, in fact every time they changed activity.
    At first you could find your self stood in the garden for up to an hour - it's important you stay out with them otherwise they just try to follow you back in.
    Ignore her until she goes then really praise her. Eventually she'll work out she has to go before she can come back indoors and play.

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I used to take mine out every 20 mins, after play, after food and upon waking.

When taking her out, you MUST go with her. Find a word or phrase that you want to use ( i use "wee-wee's" for pee and "go toilet" for poos) and encourage her to go. Once shes been give her loads of praise. This can take a while, so you may find yourself standing outside for a bit.

My boys are 10 and 11, and i STILL go outside with them and i still encourage and praise.

Dont be tempted to shut her outside, she wont learn anything this way.

14. NathanbUK

And when she does wee and I take her inside is it still 20 minutes until she goes out to wee again or can she stay in for longer coz she weed or pooped. Do I only take her in when she wees or poops no matter how often?? Sorry for so many q.

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Every 20 mins, if she has wee'd or not.

Obviously you cant stand outside all day, but always found mine would go when i took them out. Maybe give a time limit on how long you wish to stand outside.

The first few weeks are the hardest and you will be up and down an awful lot. I think chihuahua's can be hard to toilet train, and sometimes take a little longer.

16. NathanbUK

Thanks so so much. Just 1 more quick q sorri. Is it ok that's she eating grass alot, coz it's gonna be impossible to stop if she shouldn't thankss

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Grass eating is fine. Mine graze like cattle. Sometimes it can be a sign they arent feeling too well, or that they are lacking something nutritionally, but many do it as they like it. Aslong as she seems bright and well in herself i wouldnt be too concerned.

Also, dont forget she will still have the odd toileting accident, no matter how consistent you are :)

18. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

It is best that you keep her to a restricted area while she is so young. I kept mine in one room and put a rug down for her play space I put a training pad on a metal tray in the corner and when i played with her i stopped after a while and put her on the tray and told her to "do pee" she did and from then on she went herself to the tray when she needed and did it. Never had a problem with peeing anywhere other than the tray. When I started to take her walks after her vaccinations she did it outside on walks.

19. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Stay with her for as long as it takes ive stood out in all weathers freezing cold nights willing them to do something. They can learn very quickly the command to wee or poo our last one i used to constantly say wee molly wee molly, poo molly poo molly:D and she would so cuts the time down a bit as they are easily distracted just about to get down and a leaf would blow, a car would go past, anything will distract. All mne have weed on command.

20. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do yours ever fake it?

If i tell Alfie to go wee wee's and he doesnt nedd to, he will still cock his leg for a couple of secs then come for a treat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice