Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training Beagles

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Athena*, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Athena*

Athena* PetForums Newbie

We have a female Beagle, she’s 13 weeks old and is very smart, inquisitive!
    She’s very good at going to the toilet outside, of course she still has the occasional accident inside. I really could use some advice on a habit she is getting into, for some reason she will wee inside when we have guests......now this is every time we have guests, even if we let her out moments before she will still wee.
    We’ve tried letting her out more whilst guest are here but she’ll still have at least one wee inside.

Any advice on this would be appreciated, really don’t know what to try to help her understand.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I suspect this will be because either she is a little nervous when you have guests or of course she may be a little excited (both may cause a 13 week old puppy to wee) or of course everyone is so busy with the guests no one notices she needs to go.

As well as ensuring she has had a wee, i would just keep an eye on her - what is she like with visitors? I would maybe keep her near you (on the lead even) and give her something to play with and teach her how to relax around visitors.

J

3. Athena*

Athena* PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your response! :)

She loves guests, she’s always wanting a fuss and to play with our friends, they all love her so the give her a lot of attention. She is always close by as she doesn’t want to miss a fuss from someone haha

She will just randomly walk to a spot in the room and wee. (Different spot every time)

I don’t know whether it’s an attention thing, even though she has the guests attention she doesn’t have our full attention due to talking and catching up with friends, when guest are not here she’ll usually go outside but occasionally (every couple of days) she’ll have a wee inside.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Dogs go to toilet when they need to go, not for any other reason. Attention certainly not at all.

She's still young at 13 weeks so patience and consistency is the key!

Jamesgoeswalkies and Athena* like this.
  5. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It's not an attention thing as Lullabydream says - dogs just don't work that way. I suspect she has become excited and lost her concentration and then when she wants to go no one is watching and let's be honest , if you are a 13 week old puppy and you gotta go, you gotta go! So just keep an eye on her when visitors are round ;)

J

Athena* and lullabydream like this.
  6. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

I agree with the above responses, likely excitement wee, Rizzle still does this at 5 months old (we have only had her two weeks and she wasn’t house trained.

If we know we have visitors coming we make sure she goes out for a wee before they arrive and then get her to meet them in the garden for a couple of moments.

Once things have settled we all go back inside but I make sure I pop Rizzle out into the garden at regular intervals - this has reduced the excitement wee in the house.

At 13 weeks your little bundle of fun hasn’t got full control yet so take them outside regularly (and stay out with it until pee is achieved), the weeing indoors will reduce.

Athena* likes this.
  7. Athena*

Athena* PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for your advice! Really appreciate it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice