Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet training and other things for Mini Dachshund

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Harriett Fowler, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Harriett Fowler

Harriett Fowler PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a 15 week old mini dachshund. And we’ve been using pads and over the last month he’s been going outside a lot more... but we have somewhat gathered what times as we are In flat... hopefully he’s not the only puppy that this is a longgggg process.

On another note, the last couple of weeks he’s figured out he can bark! And loud! He is non stop barking when he wants us, also biting has got worse, like he’s being a petulant teenager... stubborn, not listening and biting way more, to the point of every time we touch him he tries to nibble.

He has learnt some training like sit, wait and come so we know he can do it.

Any advice for this ‘phase’ as I’m hoping this doesn’t last forever?!

Thanks
    H

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Nothing lasts forever with proper management you will help your pup pass through these stages.

I am not familiar with your breed. Some breeds are more difficult to house train than others but the method is the same for all.
    In a nutshell, you control the environment so that your pup clearly understands where you want him to toilet. That is really it.

If you are very dedicated, you can get this message over within a few days. If not, it might go on for weeks or even months.
    You say you are in a flat but not which floor or how long it takes you to get from flat to outside. Do you have access to grass? Generally grass is a preferred substrate but i suppose a pup can be taught to toilet on paving or whatever is there.

If possible, ditch the pads. They confuse pups. I crate trained my pups and that really does speed the whole process of house training up but if you are not crate training, you still need to arrange your living space so that you can watch your pup like a hawk. A puppy pen or an area squared off with a baby gate. Or have him tied to you on a house line. Not running about your flat getting under tables and into places you can't see.

So you take your pup out to the toilet area frequently (at least once an hour or even half hour) and you stand out and wait til he toilets. When he is actually in the process of toileting (ie when you see urine or poop coming) give your cue word (wee wee for eg) and give a tasty treat.

Pups soon catch on that doing the toilet outdoors earns a treat.

Remember though that a pup's bladder is small and he isn't able to give you much warning that he needs to go - it is up to you to take him out frequently. It will be a long time before he can go to the door and let you know he wants out.

If you are watching him properly, you will get him out in time and accidents indoors won't happen. If you do miss one - do not scold or say anything at all to him. Just clean it up, you don't need to show it to him or make any comment. He will not understand. Clean well and use a urine off spray.

Biting will diminish soon. In the meantime make sure he has plenty of kongs and things to chew. Direct him onto these. He might well be teething. Rip a cloth into 3 strips, plait it, soak in water and freeze. A cheap and easy teether to bring relief to sore gums. Pop him in a puppy pen with his chewy items and he won't be able to bite you.

Barking is a nightmare in a flat!!

Apols to your neighbours. This should lessen if you don't inadvertently send a message that it's getting your pup what he wants. Some barking is caused by excitement, poor impulse control and frustration. This kind of barking will reduce with correct management but it might be bad whilst you're training (hence a word with the neighbours ;))

To give an eg: when my dog was a pup she was very barky when we were trying to get out of the house for a walk. When her lead went on she was excited and frustrated as she was desperate to leave quickly.
    I spent a long time training her to leave the house calmly. When she barked, i made her sit and wait until quiet. And we did not leave the house until she was quiet.

It took a long time but it worked. Getting out of the car calmly was another. The first day of training, i closed the boot back down every time she barked. After half an hour of boot closing, i was so fed up with lack of progress, i left her in the car and got myself a cup of tea! On return, another 10 mins and she finally cracked it that she only got out of the car by being calm and quiet.

So that can take patience and calm and time.

And maybe some other PF members will have much quicker more effective methods to curb barking!

Remember, barking is a dog communicating though - some people put it on cue so they can switch it on and off.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It's not so much a phase that he is going through but a growing up process. Mini Dax can be vocal in my experience - remember they are a feisty breed. So I would be looking at making sure you have a good routine of training, play, walkies and naps to make sure you can keep up with his busy personality. And maybe get him into a puppy class?

Re the toilet training - have patience, it takes time. But as Tablemable says, puppy pads do slow the process down.

Re barking - yup, just make sure that you are not rewarding the barking when he barks at you for attention. Just turn away. If he's barking when out you will need to encourage him to focus on you and reward him for walking calmly. Puppy classes will help with that.

And nipping should be improving so make sure you are calmly dealing with it by walking away or leaving him a toy to play with instead. It will improve.

Good luck. (By the way he's nowhere near his teenage phase yet - that comes later :D)

J

tabelmabel likes this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Sorry was late last night so didn't explain this at all.

Putting it on cue means teaching your dog a cue word for the behaviour (many people use 'speak' for barking) and then you can get the dog to bark when you say 'speak' and stop by saying 'enough'.

This is useful for people who want their dog to alert them when someone is at the door or the post comes. You make the barking work for you and give an outlet for the dog's natural behaviour.

5. Harriett Fowler

We are in a 1st floor flat, no outdoors, he knows to go on the pads for a wee. But I’m slowing removing them when we are here... and he tends to only use it when he’s in his space in the kitchen when we go out or are at work.

He loves his crate and uses it every night and regularly sleeps there. We’ve also worked out his toilet patterns it’s just getting him to go outside - I.e we will be outside for 40 minutes or more knowing he needs to go and he won’t. we come indoors and he goes right away...

The barkings is an issue, I guess like you say do not reward barking.

Biting - he has everything a dog could wish for! We freeze things, chew toys, kongs. Yet his nipping has taken a turn for the worse recently- and is just getting stronger. When he does nip I walk away - as saying ouch or turning away he thinks is a game.

It’s just I’ve got a visit coming up with the landlords and I’d love to speed up the outdoor toilet routine but I want to make sure I’m doing it right thing.

Thanks all!
    H

6. Harriett Fowler

Thanks for above!

I took him to puppy classes but I didn’t agree with a few of the techniques the trainer was teaching.

I’m hoping to find another one, although he does currently get a lot of attention from dogs and people when we take him outside as we live in a busy town area.

I’m going to stick with the come, sit and wait and gradually increase to lay.. ( it’s a hard one as he’s so low to the ground ) - is there anything else he’s supposed to be doing at this time?

Thanks
    H

7. ladyisla

ladyisla PetForums Senior

I toilet trained my westie in a flat using pads initially. I got lots of that plastic carpet covering that comes on a roll which protected the carpets by the front door and used to put the puppy pads on top of it. Once she'd been vaccinated fully I just started taking her outside regularly and praised her lots when she went to the toilet outside. It didn't take her long to get it and I gradually got rid of the pads. I can't remember how old she was, but definitely older than 15 weeks! Of course we did get the odd accident but it's definitely doable. Good luck!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice