Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

toilet training, all wrong??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kez152, May 4, 2010.

1. kez152

kez152 PetForums Junior

I got my dog bertie 2 weeks ago, he was 6 1/2 weeks old and is a cockapoo. The first night home we put in his pen a litter tray with newspaper as he was paper trained (apparently). we didnt get home till about 10pm as we travelled far to get him. We had him next to our bed the first 2 nights and he was up most the night whining. We moved him into the lounge and he seemed to sleep better in there. so no problems with sleeping.
    Toilet training seems to be getting nowhere...am i being to harsh with expecting some sort of forwardness in 2 weeks him in the routine? We get up and take him out for a wee/poo in the garden. he then comes upstairs while we get dressed ect. We go downstairs and give him his breakfast in his pen when he finishes we take him outside and let him do his buisness which he is fine doing most days, if he doesnt he goes back in the pen for 5 min and then back into the garden until he produces something. even on the days he does do his buisness outside he comes in and wees/poos on the floor with us right there still attached to the lead. I have tried taking his poo or blotching his wee outside and letting him smell it outside and spend more time in the garden. But whenever he is out of pen regardless whether he has just done a wee/poo he wont stop doing his buisness on the floor.
    He has his set meal times and any leftover food is taken away he goes out at least once an hour and is always rewarded when he does go outside. but just finding it difficult getting him to stop doing his buisness indoors. He only has the tray with newspaper at night which he doesnt go in either he does it on the floor outside the litter tray. any advice would be great please, ive searched the internet but have found very contrasting info and would like to know from first handers what they found best?

thanks in advance!

2. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

Firstly ,8 Weeks is the usual age to have a pup so i think you are expecting an awfull lot from such a very young pup, it takes time and is not something that will happen in such a short time . Taking him out as you are doing and rewarding and praise is the best thing to do. :)
    There are several very good threads on toilet training ,let me know if you cant find them and i will sort them for you , they are written by people who have been there and done that.
    We trained our pups much as you are doing now . :)

3. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We basically did that, however after meals, we'd lock Holly in her crate for 20 mins, before taking her outside. She did whine in her crate, but that way she didn't accident in the house very much. Normally only once or twice a week.

4. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

aww poor baby is wayyy to young to be expected to be reliable yet.
    i would take a step back, and paper train him near whichever door leads to the place you eventually want to toilet him. you will need to soak up any accidents with paper, then use the smelly paper down in the place you want him to go , till he starts doing it there..this can take some time, but if you persevere it will get him one step closer. also continue to praise him when you take him out and he does manage to go outside.
    after a couple of weeks you can move the paper outside the door and see how that goes

5. leashedForLife

so he is now 8.5-WO and should have just left mum + sibs 3 days ago...
    :eek: oops.

pups *cannot* begin actual housetraining until they are 12-WO + have functioning sphincters on bladder + bowel -
    those are the purse-string muscles that pull the opening of the anus or neck of the bladder shut Against Pressure,
    and the muscles themselves must also gain strength and the pup needs to learn what a full-bladder
    or bowel feels like, and how to hold it. :huh: its a learning process.

until 12-WO / 3-MO pups must be *scheduled* -
    so U have approx a month and a half - 6-weeks - of scheduling ahead.
    please see the DogStarDaily.com website for 2 FREE books to download -
    they are titled Before U Get Ur Pup and After... -
    they have priceless info on teaching a soft-mouth AKA inhibited-bite, and socialization, as well as other pup-tips.

theres an excellent housetraining-STICKY at the top of the dog-behavior forum page - lots of tips there! :thumbup:

and heres another -
    Puppy Potty Training/Housebreaking/House Training
    bad idea -
    the CUE has to begin as a *label* - the puppy actually has to be voiding, right now, for U to label the behavior.
    otherwise whatever the pup is DOING right-now becomes * ____ cue____ * -
    which might be circling + sniffing, staring at U, watching a bird fly by, whatever.

the 10-ft tether suggested on that link is also a bad-idea; it is too tempting to tether a pup, and walk-off.
    not being THERE means
    * U are not there to *praise the pup* at the moment they void,
    * U don;t know whether the pup voided, nor how much, nor any health details:
    straining to stool, painful urination, pink-pee (blood in urine = infection or kidney problems), etc.

U have to *know* when the pup is empty for effective housetraining -
    once pup has both urinated + stooled, they can be on the carpet for 20-mins supervised for play.
    any potty-trip should be on-leash with an adult; if need be, take a torch to be sure whats produced.

happy training,
    --- terry

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I like that. It's nice and snappy and easy to understand :thumbup:

Slightly unrelated to the OP but relevant to the cue/label thing: a neighbour of ours has what appears to be a newish pup (looks about 14 weeks old) and I frequently hear her training sessions...

"Sit! Sit! Sit! Siiiiiiiiit! Sit down! Sit! Sit! Noooooooooo! Sit! Sit! Sit! No - stop barking! Sit! Siiiiiiiiiiiiit! No! No! Sit!" etc etc etc, with a second pause between each command. Said dog is either learning that a) Owner never shuts up and her voice is white noise or b) That "sit, sit, sit" etc means "Run around barking" :rolleyes:

7. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

omg you dont live near me do you :lol::lol:

my boy, he's 11 weeks now still is having accidents in the house but these have got less frequent. he does what your pup does sometimes and he can go out but he appears to wait till we come back in lol and does it on the kitchen floor :confused: but you know what.... compared to what he used to be like, im not that fussed! i just clean his mess up and on we go.

8. leashedForLife

9. Pixie2010

Pixie2010 PetForums Senior

I got my pup at 7 weeks (just 2 weeks ago) and do find it is hit and miss. She is confined to the kitchen and I use a crate both during the day and overnight. Overnight I have a pee pad in half the crate (had our first dry night yesterday) , but during the day take her out every half hour or so, and she will aways pee in the garden, but quite often will pee in the house just after! I have just picked up on the deperate for a poo signals and have had no accidents there for a week which we are very proud of! It will get better I am sure :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice