Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

toilet training a slightly older dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by doggymad, Jan 20, 2008.

1. doggymad

doggymad PetForums Newbie

hi all new to this fourm but also we have a peke that is about 17months we rescued her and have trained her to pee paper most of the time but we can let her out and she'l do nothing but as soon as she comes in after about 10 mins she goes on the floor any help would be great.:)

2. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

In this weather I know it'll be hard but I'd move the paper nearer and nearer the door and then put it outside too - it might just encourage her to do it outdoors. Make sure you go with her every time and use the same word - wee wee, be clean - whatever you use - and when she does do it give her loads and loads of praise. if she has an accident in the house dont draw attention to it - just clean it up without talking to her - she'll get the message that you're not pleased with having to give her the hard word!!

Personally I've never trained to newspaper cos I think it means you have to train them twice - once to the paper and then again to the outside - but each to their own. Good Luck with her and well done for taking on a rescue bubba;)

3. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

I would go right back to basics and treat her as you would a puppy,put her out maybe every half hour, after her feed, after a drink and after a sleep. Make a big fuss when she does toilet outside and maybe also put a command to it (this way you can eventually open the door and give them the command to 'go'). Keep a close eye on her in the house and if you notice her about to squat i would make a 'tsst' noise (nothing else and certainly no reprimand) to stop her and put her out to where you desire her to go.

I have never paper trained any of my pups as i feel it is inadvertantly training them to eliminate in the house....just my personal view.

Is she crate trained? This might help also to stop any accidents when your attention isnt fully on her.

Keep it all positive and im sure she will click pretty quickly.

Ang x

4. doggymad

doggymad PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice guy's. the only reason she is trained to paper is so i dont come home to a room full of mess its all in one place lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice