Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

toilet training a cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by crystalfighters, Sep 10, 2013.

1. crystalfighters

crystalfighters PetForums Newbie

Has anyone here done this?

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Cats / Kittens tend to copy mum and toilet train themselves. However, if you are struggling then you need to confine the space your cat can go into. Provide food, water, bed and litter tray in a small space . If accidents happen soak up pee and place poo in the right place and then show the kitten (I'm assuming) where it is and GENTLY help them to cover it with their paws. Leave it there. Continue this process until the cat learns. Cats are naturally clean creatures and it is unusual for them to poop or pee outside the box unless they have a problem. They may not like the litter, the box may be too exposed, they may be ill or frightened etc.

My kittens were three weeks old when I put the first tray down. Within a couple of hours they had all investigated it and used it. It was an instinct for them.

COuld you give a little more explanation of your precise problem?

3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Do you mean the actual toilet or litter training?

I toilet trained 3 of my cats years ago, for the fun of it. I used the LitterKwitter and they all learnt quickly. Not all cats will, some flat out refuse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice