Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet time...

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by LittleAlfie, Jun 9, 2010.

1. LittleAlfie

LittleAlfie PetForums Member

I want to teach Alfie to go toilet outside instead of going in his tray....we only have a little house so he kinda stinks the place out when he goes, and we have started letting him into the Garden, and love his outside time, but i would like to try and teach him to go outside too. But not sure of where to start, my mum suggested when hes outside, put his litter tray out there with some grass in it.

But does anyone have any tips for me on what i could do?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jon and Alfie xx

2. Loulabella1

Loulabella1 PetForums Junior

I put some litter (clean mainly with a little bit of dirty litter) in a nice area of soil, seemed to let them know where to go. I'm sure part of it was instinct though as only one of them used that area and the other one just went in another flower bed. Def worth trying some used litter so they recognise the smell. I never put the litter tray outside but my friend did and put some soil mixed in with the normal litter.

Mine now only use the litter tray once every few weeks if they get desperate during the night (I shut them in from about 8pm) but mainly they seem to wait until I let them out in the morning (about 7.30).

3. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

That's exactly what I've done with all cats.

We use used litter around the garden. In part to let them know where 'home' is, as they recognise the scent. Also they then knew to use those areas to toilet in.

80% of the time this works perfectly. We did have 2 little girls who still came in for toilet thought lol We took litter tray away and did have some accidents.

We found making outside fun for them, and putting them on the garden beds they could use etc helped.

As they got older, it got easier and now they always go outside and never inside.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice