Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet Problems

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sskmick, Jan 3, 2012.

1. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Not sure if anyone can offer advice, I have the phone at the ready to ring the vet.

He is a six and a half year old Staffie, but he hasn't wee'd or poo'd all day. He did first thing this morning which seemed fine. I have taken him out several times but nothing. He is sitting in the typical Staffie posture but when he tries to walk his back end drops and he ends up shuffling then into a sit/wee position.

He has had obstructions in the past. I don't remember it being this bad. He is constantly licking his private bits.

I will take him for a short walk see if that help him to relieve himself, if not I will ring the vet.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What sort of obstructions has he had?

Does sound like he is very uncomfortable. I'd be off to the vets if he were mine.

3. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

In the past he has swollowed bones which have lodged in his gut.

I have taken him out for a nice steady walk and he has wee'd and poo'd, lots of noise on pooing literally like air escaping. He appears to be fine now but I will keep an eye on him.

I actually think the problem is he refuses to go out to toilet in bad weather. He will go out but within seconds he is back in. When I am with him I go out with him and he doesn't come back in until he has done something. Hubby tends to trust he will have toileted.

Little sod, I will monitor him though, just in case.

Many thanks for your reply

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

lol, sounds like mine. I had to go out and cover them with a brollie today just to get them to pee.

5. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

It is something so simple but can become a health problem.

He is fine sleeping at the side of hubby relaxed no signs of discomfort.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Dogs can get crystals, and stones in the bladder and urinary tract. With a history of obstructions in the past, and the fact that he is clearly acting "odd"
    and likely in discomfort or pain. I would minimum telephone the vets for advice. The fact that he cant walk with out collapsing back end and shuffling
    Im also wondering if there is some trauma to the back or lower spine causing a pinched nerve. I believe that not passing urine or faeces can be a sign of back or nerve problems.

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Only read your opening post see problem solved!!!:thumbup1:

8. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Sound advice and I am still going to monitor him just in case. With him licking his bits, I wondered about infection but since we have been home he hasn't shown any signs of discomfort.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice