Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toilet Issues

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by rainbow.nicola, Aug 13, 2009.

1. rainbow.nicola

rainbow.nicola PetForums Member

Popcorn is doing the toilet everywhere, i didn't really think they did that i thought they picked a place and just did it there.

She goes everywhere, even in her food bowl and in her bed.

Is there anyway i can stop her from doing this?

I know you can toilet train them with a little litter box but in order to do that i thought you had to take some of her toilet area and put it in the box to train them to go there but she seems to just do it on the two shelves rather than the bottom floor.

Also, when she does the toilet she picked it up either with her hand or mouth and flicks it or spits it out, i have put a small edge of cardboard so she can't as it goes all over the carpet but i was wondering if this was normal for them?

Thanks in advance!!:D

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Some don't go in one place, it's mor e general guideline than a steadfast rule :p I'd say if you took some pieces of poo and put them in the litter tray and show her it she might get the idea :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. rainbow.nicola

I've tried moving it from the shelves and putting it down the bottom but she doesn't seem to bother.

I was just abit worried as she was doing it in her food bowl, seemed alittle odd! Oh and her old wheel was keeping me up until about 3am, so as a temp i put her ball in the bottom of her cage, it has a side bit that she can go in and out of and has a stand so she can use it like a wheel although on the box and from what i have read youre only suppose to use it for 15 minutes, is that just guidelines for the sealed wheel she's be rolling around in on the floor? Do you think she'll be okay with the ball as a temp in her cage?

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I can't see how it is any different from a wheel if she can get in and out. I know that my little Russians just go to the toilet all over the place but every Syrian hamster I have owned has pooed and wee'd in a favourite corner.... untill Xander, he just seems to go wherever he is, I wondered if it was because he was still a baby, how old is Popcorn?

5. rainbow.nicola

Yeah i thought she would pick a main spot and occassionally do the toilet somewhere else kind of thing, It was just abit strange i thought the food bowl would be a definate no-no for to poo in!

I was told she was about 6-8 weeks old.

6. pets-life

pets-life Banned

Hi there,

I've had Syrian hamsters for the past 10 years and most of them have been trained to do their business in one corner of their cage. What I found was by watching where they were doing it for the first few weeks, I would then put the Hamster potty in that corner and eventually they would use it.

It does take time and a little patience is always needed I find, but eventually they should come round.

Having said that, my current one, Boycie, who I've had for the past 6 weeks, seems to do it in the wheel, which drives me mad having to clean it out all the time - but that's just all part of the fun of owning hamsters !!!

Good luck in your endeavours!!

7. thedogsmother

Has Popcorn got a sand bath?, the Russian girls tend to do theirs in their sand bath more than anywhere else. If you do get a sand bath for her make sure you use chinchilla sand (not dusting powder) or bird sand. All my hammies have one and they love them, I just use old plastic take away containers so they are really really cheap.

8. rainbow.nicola

I was thinking about a sand bath for her, along with other things. I think by the time i've bought all her stuff there will be no room in the cage for her! There isn't much room at the moment as i'm using the big wheel and it takes up abit of space so once i choose a wheel and get it, and once i've been on my holibags ill get her a sandbath and a little potty =]

Do you just use the shavings for the potty that you use for the bottom of the cage? I'm just wondering as i'm sure when i was in our local pet store i saw some little bags of special litter for the potty. I thought maybe it was just another way of making money to be honest. :eek:ut:

9. thedogsmother

None of mine will use a potty:( but I think some people use the bird/chinchilla sand as litter.

10. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Wow, I've owned syrian hamsters for the past 10 years or so, but they've never done that. Usually one corner, apart from when one was pregnant, she did tend to do it elsewhere.

Popcorn is gorgeous by the way, I've had many hamsters the same colour as her, my favourite colour hamster :)
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice